Honda Twins banner

Cl175 dropped on a beach rebuild (Now a running 200cc)

78K views 266 replies 48 participants last post by  goodoltup 
#1 ·
So other than basic top end gasket replacement and setting valves and points this is my first build
I brought the whole bike for $100 nz = $60 us. Last ridden and dropped on an ocean beach. Think salt, water, sand, then add 10+ years of sitting outside because it wouldn't go.......perfect place to start :) the frame ? Swing arm rusted thru. Carbs full of pink crystals??? Forks very pitted but still in my garage, alot just rust stuck to rust or so brittle that it broke when I looked at it. I'm starting with the engine

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Re: Cl175 dropped on a beach rebuild

Wow! Hopefully the pistons loosen up and you're able to see how the crank is. I'll be following this. Let me know if you need help sourcing parts. Good luck.

#13 ·

I recently picked up a very rough CJ360T and felt like I had paid too much for, but you are making my latest bike purchase look like an absolute steel for three times the money!

Looking forward to seeing this one brought back to life.

Have you decided on direction beyond rehabilitation?

#15 ·

So tore the engine down, top end ... cam, points, advancer all need replacing. Split the cases. 1 can crc strip it, 2 cans heavy duty degreaser, 4 cans of crc and a pile of synthetic 000 steel wool later.....oh and about two days of scrubbing. Doesn't look to bad if you like your aluminum to look camo. Gearbox is looking good NOW. Luckily the oil cooked like tar to most of the parts seemed to stop the rust from being too evil ( unlike the top end ) I looked on line lots of people have posted about mythical cb/cl 175's running 200 pistons but no one seems to have written anything other than why you can't ....wrist pin size etc . So here's my attempt......

Attachments

#16 ·

Rocketsled said:
At what point do you think "Building a new bike from Ore might be a better idea." ?
There's probably enough to start caked on the pistons

Attachments

#18 ·

I keep looking at the Honda in the field on the homepage and wonder if that would have been a better option. Finished the head gasket and annealed it . it needs cleaning before use. I know sanding it will work harden it so I plan on soaking it in coke for a day to take off the scale unless someone has a better idea.

Attachments

#19 ·

You're head gasket looks great. If Coke doesn't work, maybe use Tarn-x. I've had good luck with it on brass & copper fittings.

#22 ·

So I put the cases back together ( held with the 8 mm bolts only not the 6mm's and no cement yet) i tried to run thru all the gears 1-5 but can't , or at least there seems to be a neutral between 3rd and fourth and I couldn't get into fifth at all. As it stands the gear selector spindle is the only bit I haven't touched ( it moves freely ) I'm looking for some advice on this before I seal the cases. I opened and checked every thing about 10 times. I realize that spinning the imput spindle by hand isn't the same as redlining so... Will it move more easily at speed / obviously oil will help. Of am I needing to replace the ...... Drum?
The gears themselves look good , all have good teeth and no obvious wear or signs of slipage . Thanks in advance.

Attachments

#24 ·

I'm glad you found and fixed it......
Amazing that such a small deviation from the pattern can cause such trouble shifting....
Worn guide pins on the shift forks will show the same symptoms as well....

#25 ·

So one of the BIG issues of putting cb2000 cranks into a cb175 is the differences in the splines on the primary gear and the offset gearing. The 175's have an off set geared push clutch, the cb200 has a single primary gear and a pull clutch and as the splines coming off the crank are different you can't just swap them out...... Luckily there are other OEM options. I spent about 6 months trawling through parts lists trying to figure this out

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.