Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I introduced myself up top, so I figured I'd start my thread on the build.

Picked up a 1973 Honda CL350K5 for $200 off of CL. Wrong mufflers, no seat, air filters cut out, no center stand, bent rear brake pedal, no rear signals. But it has a title, and that's what counts here.

Going to buy a used seat off ebay or someplace, same with most other missing parts. I understand from reading, the mufflers and pipes are the hardest thing to find for these bikes. Thinking of three directions. One is finding original exhaust for a somewhat good price. Two is going with a CB-type exhaust, whether stock CB or after market headers and pipes. Three is putting the stock pipes back on with a 12" straight mufflers like woody1981. Also, I'm wondering if I should go with stock filters or pods.

Anyways, any suggestions to help me finish this in the quickest way possible would be great.

Here's another pic of how she sits now:

Also, anyone see the ignition switch mounted like this before?

Thanks for tuning in, I will update as I go along.

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Ignition relocate was common.....
You will need CB type footpegs, brake pedal and tube to change over as well

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
66Sprint said:
Ignition relocate was common.....
You will need CB type footpegs, brake pedal and tube to change over as well
I remember sooooo many of these bikes got ignition relocations. I never did get it. Maybe it's just me. After all, Honda started putting them in the center around '74 or so I think.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good find! I'm in the middle of a CL350 build myself, and it's been a lot of fun! From my experiences so far, I'd just recommend giving the entire engine a once-over and replace anything that needs it, especially if it's been sitting for some time. Have you thought about what direction you want to take the bike? Seems the cafe style is pretty popular.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
J. Thompson #5150 said:
Good find! I'm in the middle of a CL350 build myself, and it's been a lot of fun! From my experiences so far, I'd just recommend giving the entire engine a once-over and replace anything that needs it, especially if it's been sitting for some time. Have you thought about what direction you want to take the bike? Seems the cafe style is pretty popular.
Thanks! Well, I'm more of a resto-mod type of guy, but I like the Cafe look, if done right, so that will have to wait until my next ride. I'm going to do as little restoration as possible right now, just polish up what I have, get a slightly worn seat for the look, am leaning towards just getting some shorty mufflers for it and getting some good looking tires to finish it off. A daily rider.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I gotta vent.

I was bidding on this sweet 72 CL350 seat on ebay and had to work tonight. It ended 5 minutes after I had to start and the Lead I am working with is a real ass so I missed it and it sold for $51, about $25 less than I was going to bid to win.

Crap!!! :x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts