Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When restoring my CB450 (version 1.0) last winter I tried to find a local zink plater with no luck. I played with the idea to try my own zink plating and started to look for info on the interweb.
Most descriptions involved very strong chemicals but I foud this student that was experimenting with household products.

For electrolyte I used 1 dl apple cider vinegar mixed with 1 tea spoon of sodium chloride (normal houshold salt). For zink anode I used a zink anode for boats.
[attachment=2:h8heaqyj]SSA51206-1024.jpg[/attachment:h8heaqyj]

I prepared the bolts if rusty by leaving them over night in a 50/50 solution of citrus acid and phosphoric acid. It's very important to clean the parts before plating them so I used acetone (without oil). To get some action I used an adjustable 1.4A DC power supply set on 4.5V for 10 to 15 minutes. Plus goes to the anode and minus to the part. If the plated part looks like a effervescent tablet in water you are using too strong current.
[attachment=1:h8heaqyj]SSA51236-1024.jpg[/attachment:h8heaqyj]

After plating the part has a dull gray color. I used a mild rotor brass brush to get them shiny again.
[attachment=0:h8heaqyj]SSA51229-1024.JPG[/attachment:h8heaqyj]

Attachments

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some before and after shots.
[attachment=5:3mzjqp1k]SSA51275-1024.jpg[/attachment:3mzjqp1k]
[attachment=1:3mzjqp1k]SSA51297-1024.jpg[/attachment:3mzjqp1k]

[attachment=3:3mzjqp1k]SSA51182-1024.JPG[/attachment:3mzjqp1k]
[attachment=2:3mzjqp1k]SSA51322-1024.JPG[/attachment:3mzjqp1k]

[attachment=0:3mzjqp1k]SSA51280-1024.jpg[/attachment:3mzjqp1k]
[attachment=4:3mzjqp1k]SSA51321-1024.jpg[/attachment:3mzjqp1k]

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Very cool. You mentioned cleaning parts in citrus/phosphoric acid. What did you use to make this mixture? I've been thinking of buying a commercially available zinc plating set up and I've probably watched the same "do it yourself" videos you have so I'm wondering where to get the ingredients.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
johnnyc14 said:
Very cool. You mentioned cleaning parts in citrus/phosphoric acid. What did you use to make this mixture?
I used the type of citrus acid powder you use foor cooking mixed with water and then poured in some aluminium wheel cleener (based on phosphoric acid) I had laying around.

johnnyc14 said:
I've been thinking of buying a commercially available zinc plating set up and I've probably watched the same "do it yourself" videos you have so I'm wondering where to get the ingredients.
Thanks.
Esiest way would probably be to buy a complete kit from Caswell.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Nice job, those parts look great.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
yes indeedy. reduce reuse recycle and keep NOS parts at sensible prices!

excellent work, and, i imagine, very satisfying?

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Hi Ronny
Was the power supply programable or did you just time it? Have you got any picture of the power supply?
Anodes are not to difficult to get in Southampton as its near a couple of boating Mecas.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nigelrharris03 said:
Hi Ronny
Was the power supply programable or did you just time it? Have you got any picture of the power supply?
Anodes are not to difficult to get in Southampton as its near a couple of boating Mecas.
Nige, I just timed it. Heres a pic of the power supply. I got it in a nickel plating kit from Caswell I bought a while back.
[attachment=2:3okofz7u]SSA51369-1024.jpg[/attachment:3okofz7u]

All bolts are dipped in citrus acid with phosphor acid (only none kitchen product). From left to right:
Bolt number 2 is zink plated. Bolt 3 is zink plated and polished with Autosol (equal to Mothers polish I think). Bolt 4 is zink plated with zink brightener and polished with Autosol. Bolt 5 is a new bolt as a reference.
[attachment=1:3okofz7u]SSA52809-1024.jpg[/attachment:3okofz7u]

Bolts after 5 days in salt water:
[attachment=0:3okofz7u]SSA52865-1024.jpg[/attachment:3okofz7u]

Rust showing on the unprotected bolt. Looks like I did not clean out the threads enough on bolt 2 before zink plating or could it be something magic in the Autosol polish.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Hej Ronny
I have got to say that that is pretty impressive as salt is so real so and so for finding any way into steel and corroding it.
What were the ratios of the citric and phosphoric acids and strengths.
Phosphoric I know is used on many rust inhibiting products.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nige, I would love to give you an intelligent scientific answere on your question but I can't. :D
I think it was about one litre (I know that you guys in the UK are transiting over to the metric system inch by inch) of water with a couple of spoons with citrus acid powder and then I mixed that with halfe a bottle of aluminium wheel cleaner (containing phosphoric acid) i had standing.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Planning on some beach races, I did hear of a get together over seas, you are god to go! Nice torture test.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually we had a vintage Honda run 3 years ago around the strait between Denmark and Sweden. We took the ferry from Helsingborg to Helsinore (where Hamlets castle are) and rode from there to Copenhagen and then rode the bridge back to Malmo. It was really windy that day and when the waves hit the ferry it showered us and the bikes with saltwater. A week later I found rust all over my CB500 four so saltwater is really bad to these old bikes.
Hence my experiment with saltwater. If the bolts can take that then I figured the rust protection is pretty good.

Daytona beach next. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts