·
Registered
475 Posts
I have used Shell Rotella T4 oil for years good oil look up the specs

Reactions: Alan F.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Agree with the use of Shell Rotella diesel oil.

Reactions: Alan F.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Why would one use the t4 over the t6?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Synthetic doesn't play nice in all bikes. It has been reported to cause clutch slippage in some bikes. I haven't heard of any complaints with T4.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Synthetic doesn't play nice in all bikes. It has been reported to cause clutch slippage in some bikes. I haven't heard of any complaints with T4.
Gotcha... i figured if its JASO MA it "should" be good on the clutch.

A synthetic will always slip before a traditional oil... but if that's causing the difference its time to redo the clutch anyway in my mind.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I use rotella but I don't splurge for the synthetic. I change it pretty often. I started adding a little extra zinc because the oil is a little too shimmery for my liking. Viewed in the sunlight. My magnet sump plug and the spinner only ever show fine dust like particles. I suppose the cleaner additives do a pretty good job keeping the shimmery stuff in suspension.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
This is an old mechanic's tale. Synthetic does not cause clutch slippage, it is the 'energy conserving' additives that do. Any oil with the JASO designation for motorcycles, and most other Diesel oils, will work fine.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I use Chevron Delo 400 in my 450. No JASO marking. I've been doing this for years. ZDDP supplements might be a good idea. I don't think it will hurt.

·
Registered
623 Posts
You shouldn't need zinc in your oil.
Zinc was used as an additive because it could act as a last-ditch defense against metal-to-metal contact in your engine. The idea was that since it is a soft metal, it would embed and smear on hard surfaces if the oil itself wasn't providing adequate lubrication. Zinc was removed from motor oil once catalytic converters came into general use- metals do bad things to the catalyst bed. Since diesel trucks generally don't run cats, zinc remained in the mix.
As long as you're NOT using an energy conserving oil (can ruin a wet clutch) and your lubrication system is working properly, your engine should be safe. Modern oils are FAR superior to what was being produced in the mid 1970s, when zinc started to disappear.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I contacted Shell and they said you can blend T4 and T6 which not only gives the added lube of a synthetic but approximates the intended 10-40 weight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts