Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question for you well-read vintage Honda enthusiasts:

The 1968 CB250 that was sold in Japan had the sleeved-down 350 engine, but looked like a CB77

Now, can anyone tell me if the frame would be the same as my CB350, and also, what all models used that same tank? I know the CL and Black Bomber tanks looked similar, but are shaped differently, but which ones would be the same as the CB77? Because it is a sweet looking bike, in my eyes.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Re: '68 CL 350 K0

The visable sections of the frame and the forks APPEAR to be identical with an early "standard" US version 350 chassis.... The CB77-ish tank and headlight/speedo assembly may indeed be just that....However, the CB77 employed a "backbone type frame" composed of primarily straight tubes under the tank (as opposed to the 350's stamped sheet metal design) so there MAY be a clearance issue.... I ran into a similar "exchange" when I put an early "Sloper" CL175 tank from a backbone frame on a later "Vertical" CL 175 stamped frame (took some minor "hammer denting" on the underside of the tank to achieve clearance)
I do agree it's a nice looking combination, (I love the older styling) and I'd think it worth the experiment to trial fit a CB77 tank to a 350 (if I had one).....
Here's my resulting "look" so far, with a CL160 headlight/speedo combo on late model CL 175 forks, with the "vintage" tank.....

Oh, the answer is CB72, and CB77 used that tank.....

I'd say "GO FOR IT!"..... :D Steve

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
LOL...Finally figured out how to split topics...... :lol: Steve

Another thought.... The very similar tank on my C 200 (90 cc) has a wide tunnel that might work on a 350 frame.... I could trial fit that for you, but it's probably going to be just as hard to find one of those.....

.... Steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clever topic splitting! I don't remember what the original topic was now.

There are a number of poorly-managed Honda salvage yards in my area, so I should be able to pick up a CB72/77 tank without too much trouble; naturally it'll be in need of some serious reconstructive work, but if it doesn't fit, I'm sure someone would be happy to see it show up on Ebay.

I have been looking all over for tank size specs, specifically, how much do these tanks, or CB350 tanks, or CB350F tanks hold, and what's their typical reserve amount with a stock petcock? Any ideas?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Ziggy,
Bill440cars has both a CB77 tank and an early SL 350 frame (the backbone/engine area is the same as a CB or CL 350).... He'll trial fit the tank and get back to us....May be a few days/week or so, He has other things going on........Steve

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
66Sprint said:
Ziggy,
Bill440cars has both a CB77 tank and an early SL 350 frame (the backbone/engine area is the same as a CB or CL 350).... He'll trial fit the tank and get back to us....May be a few days/week or so, He has other things going on........Steve

Yeah, got kinda a "full plate" but I'll try to check it out this weekend and get back to ya. ;) Although, Steve's suggestion of buying one, check the fit and sell it if it don't fit, ain't bad cause it's fonna sell again.

Take care, Bill ;)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Well, I got to thinking about that tank with that frame and, next thing I knew, I was out there checking. And, I have to tell ya, the thought seems like it would be cool, but not gonna work without some major surgery. the top rails (where the frame splits, to accomodate the rear wheel) hit the tank at about 2" from the rear od the tank (the tank would have to be opened up, to clear at that point. Then I looked up underneath the tank, and the tank sits on the main tube (above the engine) most of the way from the front of the tank to the rear of it. Now, if a person wanted to cut the inderneath out of the tank and build a new underside... Like I say, I really LIKED the idea, but, this one ain't gonna be something that I'D want to try. Sorry bout that! :( Wish I had better news.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Not quite the same shape, but the 68' CB450 tank has the chrome panels and rubber knee pads. But, IT too, would ba hard to find reasonably priced.

Well, I thought I had a photo of a K1, but it didn't work! :?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.