Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, figured I gotta start my project thread with something at some point, so here we go. I have A LOT of work to do on this one, and it's my first ever bike project. Got it in my head that I wanted to buy a pile of parts for cheap and rebuild a bike from it, and just dove right in.

Besides a few other requirements I decided were what I was looking for (250-500cc, parallel twin, 4-stroke), it also came down to a matter of budget and how to pick it up. Which is to say, I didn't want to spend a lot, and I don't have a truck. So the right bike popped up on Craig's List, at the right price, and since it was all disassembled already, I could fit it in the back of my girlfriend's station wagon.

The good news is the engine is in good shape and has very few miles. It seems likely to me that it's been in pieces like this for a long time. It also came with a handful of brand spanking new parts, including progressive rear shocks, tires and inner tubes, and some handlebars that are not offensively shaped. Additionally there's an extra set of wheels, two seats, and almost all the other original parts are there. The bad news is, well, lots of things but I'll get to that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Frame.

In a nutshell, it’s been chopped. Somewhere along the line the seat hinge/lock, and rearmost support bracket were removed. Additionally the back hoop bracket is nowhere to be found. In general, while I would have preferred an unmolested frame, these issues are not much of a problem for me. I plan on doing a pseudo cafe/flat tracker back end with a new seat, so chances are the same modifications would have to be made. Since it came to me with a sad primer job on it instead of the original paint, and because powdercoating is outside my budget currently, I decided to cut to the chase and do a quick rattle can paint job on it. It’s not a good paint job, but it will do for now. I just need to get the bike back together so that I can assess other problems that I’m sure are coming.

There is a question regarding the frame that I am concerned about. There appears to a be a tab that holds down the rear gas tank mounting rubber that isn’t there. I can’t figure out if it’s supposed to be a welded-on part of the frame or a separate part entirely. It appears to be welded-on, however if that is the case, I don’t understand how the gas tank would be removable.

See where it comes up over that screw hole there? I’m missing that. But if that part is permanently attached, I don’t understand how it works. A small bracket that screws into place would make perfect sense. Either way, it’s not among my piles of parts, so one way or another I need to make something that works.

Here's what mine looks like:

Does anybody know what's up here?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Not sure I understand the question - the rear rubber allows you to pull back the gas tank enough to pull the front up (through the rubber rollers). Then it’ll slide forward out of the rear rubber holder. It’s got two horizontal slots in it, the upper one for the tank and the lower one for the tab on the frame, which is welded on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That definitely answers my question, and confirms my suspicion. So, the lower tab you mention has been cut off on my frame. Crap! I'll have to fabricate a custom bracket to do the same job.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt:

Honestly, you MAY not need that. Use the rubber part to protect the rear tab of the tank and just have it rest on that pedestal. When you have your seat locked down on top of this component, it should hold the tank in place, provided the front tank rollers are being grabbed by the tank. Anecdotal evidence: Some time in 2010, I lowsided my bike and the rear tank tab wasn't stuck into the rubber piece. The tank did not come off the bike and remained in place.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Had the gas tank off today, so snapped a picture of the piece in question for your reference :)

Auto part Vehicle Engine Machine Car

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Wheels

My bike came with two sets of wheels. Sort of. Here's what I have:

Wheel Spoke Rim Auto part Bicycle wheel

It looks like the PO wanted to paint and re-lace the original wheels. One rim is primer gray, the other black. Both drum brake hubs are primer gray also, except for that rear brake panel comp, which is also black. And then I have brand new in the package 4into1 spokes.

The other wheels are unpainted in any way, but the front hub is different. Am I correct in assuming this is for a disc brake setup?

It seems like a pretty popular thing to do the black painted hubs and rims with unpainted spokes, but I'm not totally sold on the look. I could kind of go either way on it. I also figure I don't need the extra parts around if I'm not gonna use them, so once I settle on what I'm using I will offer what's left for sale in the classified section here.

So I guess my question is, what would you guys do? Unload the extra wheel set and continue the paint job on the original wheels? Strip the original wheels and return them to stock? Convert my front end over to a disc brake, because I already the wheel for it? Totally open to opinions on this one.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm a chrome guy, I'd strip them back to the chrome personally :D that front wheel does look like a disc setup though; I have a disc and it works OK, though I'm not working it especially hard either. With braided steel lines, it's got more than adequate stopping power. That said, I don't think there's a major incentive to change away from the drum - the drum front seems well received.

Depending on how you want it to look, I think the easiest routes are gonna be:

-Black paint on the primered wheel, lace em, use drum brakes
-Strip the two to chrome, lace em, use drum brakes
-Use the laced ones, get a disc, caliper, caliper arm, hose, and master cylinder(? not sure if the drum is cable op or not, to be honest), possibly true them

Personally, I'd probably use the laced ones, because of the aforementioned chrome fetish and my total lack of knowledge on how to lace wheels true :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I've decided that I'm going to go ahead and finish the black paint job already started on my original wheels. If anyone is interested in the extra wheel set that I have now, shoot me a PM. Otherwise they'll go up for sale with a few additional parts after I decide what goes and what stays. More on that later.

In the meantime I've been thinking about necessary upgrades that I should be making as I'm putting the bike back together. The one big one that seems to be a must is bronze bushings in the swingarm. I got the original plastic bushings out easily enough so I just need to order the bronze replacements. Old Bike Barn has them available here.

The other upgrade that keeps coming up is the roller bearings in the steering head. It's a popular upgrade, but I guess my question is, is it necessary? In my case the bike had pretty low miles before being torn apart, and the balls and bearing races don't look to have any divots or flat spots. So other than general annoyingness installing the loose balls, is it really worth the extra effort and expense? And if it really is something worth doing, how in the f#$* do I remove the bottom bearing race from the bottom triple tree/shaft? I've tried, and can't get it to budge.

Finally, while I'm on the subject, what other "necessary upgrades" should I be considering while the bike is still almost fully disassembled?

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
In regards to those bronze swingarm bushings, I got a set (based on recommendations from this forum) by this gentleman from Germany. A helluva lot cheaper and worth it!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB-2...ash=item41acfcbbde:g:a6gAAMXQLbVRaN9z&vxp=mtr

For the roller bearings, if you are taking the bike apart, why not? Just make sure you don't have a CB450 front end like me...that required a tapered roller + ball bearing hybrid solution! It is a bit of a pain in the butt to install, but the steering will feel a lot nicer.

Just brainstorming here for other potential upgrades:
- Fresh sprockets
- New Cables (tach, speedo, clutch, throttle)
- New ignition coils
- New condenser
- New points
- Regulator Rectifier combo
- Engine oil seals

Reactions: scramblinman2

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the link, that's a much better price. :grin:

My front end is stock, as far as I know. I guess the only "why not" is the extra expense, but the bike is already taken apart so now is a good time to perform upgrades.

I'd definitely considered most of your other suggestions, besides fresh sprockets and engine oil seals. Again, AFAIK the engine has very low miles, so I'm hoping I don't have to do much with it. I know my rear sprocket still has nice sharp teeth on it, but part of that outer guard is bent in a little, and will need to be flattened out.

·
Registered
555 Posts
@Kruk, do you know if those bronze bushings will fit a 450 swingarm? They aren't on the ebay listing I'll be in the market for some of those shortly... :D

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
@Kruk, do you know if those bronze bushings will fit a 450 swingarm? They aren't on the ebay listing I'll be in the market for some of those shortly... :D
Not sure, but from googling "CB450 swingarm bushing", the general look of the bushings looks different. Unfortunately, I do not thing they will work.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
There was a member on the forum making them for the 450's but I don't remember who. They are different.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I’ve bought from Bob for the 360, I’ll give him a shout. The man does good work!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
New swingarm bushings ordered from Bob. When they arrive, I should be able to reassemble to the frame. Question though, should I use assembly paste (I have the genuine Honda M-77 stuff) for certain parts, or just grease (I have Bel-Ray Waterproof)?

This leads me to another question. My bike came with the original shocks, as well as a set of brand new progressive shocks like these. I'd like to use the new ones, but the upper eyes aren't as wide as the originals. I'm figuring I'll have to put some washers/spacers on both sides of each eye just to keep them centered on the pegs, right?

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
New swingarm bushings ordered from Bob. When they arrive, I should be able to reassemble to the frame. Question though, should I use assembly paste (I have the genuine Honda M-77 stuff) for certain parts, or just grease (I have Bel-Ray Waterproof)?

This leads me to another question. My bike came with the original shocks, as well as a set of brand new progressive shocks like these. I'd like to use the new ones, but the upper eyes aren't as wide as the originals. I'm figuring I'll have to put some washers/spacers on both sides of each eye just to keep them centered on the pegs, right?
Honestly I just used the generic purple/pink bearing grease from my local O'Reilly's. I don't think you need to be too picky unless you are working on a BMW airhead spline job. For the shocks, have you looked into Hagons? They are custom made for you and well worth it in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts