Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I picked up a CB77 project and a Yetman frame.
Been kicking around the idea of doing something with it.

Any of you guys know much about them?
How many they built?
Any owners clubs or registries?

Would love to learn more then just what comes up in google about them.

Are they worth anything?
Saw that one on ebay for $12k....that cant be real.....

Frame number is 3076
Have a bunch of CB77 parts and even a few period race parts.
Heck some of the stuff is labeled CYB.

·
Registered
703 Posts
There's a fair few Drixton framed bikes in the classic racing fraternity round here - but never came across anything like that.

Frame looks like a nice piece of engineering artwork in its own right.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have a thing for special framed bikes.
Also have a Seeley.
Start of a pretty cool collection I'd say :)

(Totally off topic - and sorry for cluttering up your thread jaguar - but the local chap who races the Drixtons also has an original Rob North framed Trident racer in his stable. When I remarked on the similarity of the two frames, he said it wasn't surprising, as the Drixton was almost a straight copy of the earlier frame..)

·
Registered
315 Posts
The Yetman frames were made not by traditional welding, but by brazing the swaged ends of the tubing and are amazingly strong and light. They were made by David Yetman over a relatively short period of time, Late 60's-70s and I believe (I know) they are highly sought after. He made CB77, CB 450, and Harley frames as well. Some were street, some were for the drag strip. A Yetman dragster crashed on the drag strip many years ago and the rider was killed. The frame was torn in half, but not a single brazed connection had failed.

Not a whole lot of these were made and still fewer exist today. Extraordinary find, IMO.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Reactions: brokencamchain

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
It's funny at times to hear people talking about brazing and welding. Back in the 60's and early 70's we didn't have access to TIG or MIG welders. They existed in the aerospace industry but way expensive units. Early formula cars were many times soldered together not brazed, Harley was still brazing their frames together in the later 70's.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Harley was still brazing their frames together in the later 70's.
So true Jim... I started at the City of Tampa in August of '76 working on their FLHs and was amazed at the cast sections brazed to frame tubes. Hondas were so much cleaner looking at their frame connections (for the most part, excluding the T-bone frames still lingering around then and collectible now) and the Harleys at the time impressed me as crude and prehistoric. Never actually saw one come apart but heard stories of it

·
Registered
589 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.