Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So I FINALLY got access to the oil filter assembly on my CL-350....sort-of.

I got the outer part off (circlip and using the 6mm screw). Now I'm at the part where I'm supposed to use the special wrench to get the rotor off (I bought one on-line).

The prongs on the lock washer looked pretty mashed up, but I got them flattened (I'm pretty sure I did anyway! I've checked several times and they're all flattened away from the rotor). The rotor just won't budge though! It's supposed to loosen to the left (counterclockwise), right? It just wants to turn the engine backwards, so that's part of the problem. Is this a known problem or am I doing something wrong?

Thinking I'd be smart, I pulled the dyno cover and had my son hold the 14mm bolt on the left side in place while I tried to get off the oil filter rotor. No luck! All I managed to do was loosen the bolt on the alternator thingy.

I wonder if the PO tried to pull it off without straightening the tabs? The don't look too lined up with the tabs.

Help! Any suggestions? The filter itself looks pretty clean (at least what I can see - there was some crap on the bottom of the cannister, but nothing serious likely I've heard can happen).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
You can put an OLD copper penny in between the main crankshaft gear and it's counterpart to stop the rotation. But you'll have to remove the entire clutch side cover first.

Look here at gear #1 - http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb450-super- ... E++09.html

GB :mrgreen:
Hmmm..... I suppose that would work. I'm worried I'd snap off a tooth though. Just wedge it in there and hope for the best? Old penny 'eh?

I already have the whole cover off, so everything is visible.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tbpmusic said:
Try putting it in gear and standing on the rear brake.....and a big honkin' breaker bar.
Think I'll try this next (tomorrow). I removed the sidestand/rear brake to get the rt cover off. Guess I'll bolt them back on and see what happens. It just seems like this rotor shouldn't be on so hard to remove. It must be some gunk on the threads or something.

I have a huge breaker bar, so that's not the issue. I just picture the entire thing snapping apart or something.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
If you had one you'd have probably already tried it but an impact drive works wonders on those things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts