Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since we've had a thread or two on naked GoldWings, here's mine: got it this past weekend.

It's an '82 1100 and it's my Dad's. He's owned it for ~10 years and is thinning his herd and let me have this one. It needs some mechanical work, and I'll change some of the bits to make it less of a Barcalounger - stock pegs to replace the floorboards and heel/toe shifter, a set of lower, narrower bars etc.

I'm not crazy about the white frame, but that's how HE got it, and I'm not too keen to drop the motor etc to paint the frame. We'll see.

I joined the NGW forum - MAN there's a lot of info available out there... :shock:

It's about as opposite from my CB200 as you can get. :lol:

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
You will love that bike.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Kirk, you swine !!!
How come nobody ever gives me a sweet ride like that???
I had a black '81 Necked Wing (bought it new, about $2,000), rode it for a long time.

Lucky dog, you should permanently join your lips to your dad's butt.......

I've never seen a GL with a white frame.
Don't remove those engine guards, they'll save you a world of misery when that big boy tips over on you.
I know they look Harley-ish, but trust me, once that bike gets too far tipped over, no human can stop it, it's just too big and heavy. All you can do is jump out of the way and start scouring EBay for the parts........

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

+1 on the lucky dog. Both my current rides came from him - the CB200 was Mom's and the Goldwing was one of his... But, it's sad that they're getting older. He's 77, she's 76. He still has a few in his stable, including his main ride, an '87 Harley LowRider he's owned since about 1991.

The white is really a kind of pearlized white, and it may have looked good when new, but its got a lot of nicks and chips, and it's kind of yellowing here and there. Looks better in the photos than standing next to it. :D

I'm playing the crash bars by ear. They make it w - i - d - e with 'em on, both physically and visually, but I hear ya on their functionality. The first thing to go, though, will be the cheap JCWhitney-issue floor boards. I find 'em very awkward. You have to fish around for the brake pedal when you want it, and the heel/toe shifter is awkward, too.

Still, it's shaping up to be a nice project / rider.

Kirk

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I have floorboards on my GL1200 and happen to like them but one thing I want to caution you on until you get them off your bike,,,, they will hit when you get aggressive going around corners. I drag mine all the time and just am prepared for it. Mine are hinged and I just let them fold up while going around the corner that they are touching down on and then just push them back down.
I know,,,,,, you think I am an idiot to ride that way but it really doesnt take much and they will hit after you get more comfortable on the bike. Also if the air is low in the rear suspension. It will make you want to straighten up the first time. Those Wings handle much better than you think.
Don

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
If you don't like the white frame maybe you could look into getting it pinstriped?? It'd knock down the overwhelming white-ness a little. Just a thought...

You lucky bastige!!! :twisted:

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
357 Posts
The white frame may be a bit off, but that blue is really nice. I like it. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
I'm not partial to the white frame either but the blue sure is nice. I have/had the same seat on my '76. The PO modified the little back piece where is says "HONDA" so it would fit in front of the Vetter Trunk.

I just got my Corbin seat tonight and got it mounted then went for a ride. It's a lot more comfortable than the GL1100 seat but my wife doesn't like the Corbin passenger seat as much as the one that was on it.

I also have the same front fender on my '76. I like it as well and will probably leave in on although I have a stock chrome one.

Congratulations on the new bike.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hey Kirk, haven't been here for a spell and when I do come in here, I find that you are in the proud possession of that sharp looking Wing! :cool: Yeah, so it's got a white frame. The price is right AND like has been said, that BLUE is NICE!!!!!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts