Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pics to follow, when I can get my camera charged. New to the board, I normally work on my '73 CB500 and post on sohc4.net. But I got a new baby and I've always wanted a 360 twin.

Brought her home on Monday, spent the day today changing her oil, plugs, fuel lines w/ filters, cleaning the carbs, and cleaning out the tank. Tank was in great condition and the carbs were clean (mostly). I'm having trouble with a fuel leak from the float bowls, and even more trouble finding float bowl gaskets, any ideas?

She runs, I had her out for a bit today (10 miles), but I can't seem to get her idle settle. She almost dies, then I give her a little gas and she hangs on really high for a bit, then comes back down to almost stalling. (?)

Anyway, I'm happy to be on my new 360t, and happy to be here.

Any help with the idle issue would be greatly appreciated.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Verify correct point timing as well.........But it does sound like it could be a carb sync/setting/adjustment problem

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So here's what I'm workin' with. She just got fresh oil, new plugs, cleaned the carbs and she runs. I still can't get the idle thing down though. She also bogg's down at WOT so I'm pretty sure I need to pull the carbs again and verify they are clean.

I did try to set/adjust the idle per the instructions I got here to the best of my ability. Here are some of the issues I've come across...

1. If I have the air mixture screws set at 1 turn out = backfiring.

2. Air screw at 2 turns out = erratic/high idle with no adjustment from idle control screw.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Take a look at my thread, I went through very similar problems with the idle. And good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Welcome!

Nice to see another CB360 Cafe Project! I hope you can learn from my mistakes and findings. Yeah about the carb issue, +1 to what Steve says (66Sprint)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Krukster

I am new to the twins, I'm used to working on my SOHC4's. So the timing thing, and setting the points gap is different then what I'm used to doing. So please be patient with me as I may ask ALOT of stupid questions. I've been reading many posts here and I think I'm getting the idea of what I need to do for the timing/points gap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know this is an important piece of equipment but, how bad does this look to you all?

[attachment=0:35sdgva9]ripped carb 001.JPG[/attachment:35sdgva9]

I know I should replace it, but at $90 a piece it kinda' stings.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
It doesn't look as bad as some I've seen. I'd try to use some fuel resistant silicone on that little tear and see how she holds up. Can't hurt.. If not then you're spending some cash in the end..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
That one looks fixable....not like the ones the PO "fixed" in my XJ550 :shock:

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
The silicone will always peel off, it's less flexible than the original membrane. A qick fix which often lasts a very long time is to use a bit pf superglue (pref. loctite brand) on the crack, then sprinkle bi-carb soda on the spot and work it with your thumb/finger. The bicarb sets of the glue and provides a hard filler for the crack and vulcanizes the rubber back together. Sounds silly, but I've done it dozens of times.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
No to be argumentative but I've never seen any automotive silicone that has ever peeled off of rubber. Especially the Permatex form-a-gasket variety. Once it's dry it's pretty well a permanent bond on rubber.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looking into the repair, i think I'll visit my local salvage yard today and try to find a replacement.

By the way, no one seems to make cables for this bike any more. I can't find throttle cables anywhere. Are the 350 cables the same length as my 360?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks leethal, I just ordered throttle cables and points. Gotta get this under control before I start my tear down and rebuild.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I installed my cables and points, went through and gave her a full tune. She seems to run pretty strong now, although I don't have anything that size to compare it to.

I still have not fixed the ripped diaphragm because the liquid electric tape I experimented with was eaten through in about 45 minutes. I need to visit the salvage yard to see if I can find a new one.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Did you order their Tach cable? I received an incorrect fitting end on mine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Been busy workin' on the CB550 in my garage and neglecting my little 360 project until recently. Here is an update...

Found a new carb slider (diaphragm) on ebay, ordered new jets (35's) and put it all back together, but had some issues. I think I have the idle under control, but the idle control knob is backed all the way out - so I have no adjustment.

When I give the throttle a twist, it won't return all the way. I give to give it a little push to return it to fully closed position.

Installed clubman bars because I could not find a cheap set of clip-ons (or a shim to make my 35mm clip-ons fir my 32mm fork tubes).

Still searching for a small enough cafe seat to fit the little CB360. I might get this one, http://www.hotwingglass.com/seats/road-race-1.shtml Any body have any experience with these guys?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the carb issue figured out, now I have another issue...well, many issues-this bike is 35 years old you know.

I need an opinion. Does this look like it's running lean to anybody?

[attachment=0:j1ut3vgm]plugs 8.28.10 003.jpg[/attachment:j1ut3vgm]

I think it does, but I might just be paranoid.

Anyway, got the clubman bars on, new bar end mirror (two for one hookup from my local shop, one for the CB500 and one for the CB360t).

Still need to find a seat, thinking about going stealing the idea from this bike.

[attachment=1:j1ut3vgm]honda-cl350-1.jpg[/attachment:j1ut3vgm]

It might be too much $$$ for what I want to put into this bike though. I will however bite the idea for the fender and tail light.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts