Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I said i would never restore another CB450 and have sold my K3 CL :( Well here it is, another Australia 1969 K2 CB450.
This one will be known as the "patina rebuild" or as i like to call it the "Wabi" (Japanese) no new or restored cosmetic parts will be used, only new engineering parts and safety items. The engine is holding 182 (left) and 188 (right) in the cylinders and was bought into a Honda dealer 20 years ago with the complaint of "not starting".

The starting issue is now sorted, it turned out to be the main earth lead had come loose and the whole bike was earthing through a secondary lead which couldn't hold the current so burnt out! Now that it's fixed i should be able to start the beast and test the engine.

Looking through the spark plugs there is no carbon on the pistons and none on the valves :D :D, No wear on the cam or followers and the chain tensioner look new! The story is that the engine was rebuilt and then wouldn't run, so this may be true ;) Oh, by the way the carbs appear to be new :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Does this mean you've finished the cafe?

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
leethal said:
Does this mean you've finished the cafe?
Yep, but not registered yet, need to sell the XJ first :(

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HerrDeacon said:
How do you guys find these bikes??? Nice find. The tank paint looks to be in great shape! Looking forward to this build Rod, especially if its half as good as the last one.
I've known about this bike for about 5 years and have kept telling the owner to get it on the road! so guess what :) he said " well if you have the time you get it on the road!!" so it's now mine, and, well as i have always wanted to do a Wabi bike, this will be it.

The whole idea is to recreate a 1970's bike with some hard miles on it. So I'll re-plate all the bolts and nuts then put them in a mild acid to take off the shine and give them the used dull look without exposing the steel underneath. the seat will be a "cafe" rear hump but on the original pan and covered with some old worn leather to give the used and loved look.
I have a collection of original race track and performance "decals" from the 1960's-70's some water transfer and some stickers, these will be used as part of the overall look. I tell you what, i am looking forward to NOT having to rebuild and engine :lol: :lol: :lol:

It came with a pair os 35mm Magura clip-on's with NOS switches! which i'll will use but not sure about using the NOS switches.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Rod, that looks like a great find. I try to never say never, but maybe I should do like you, and say I'll never do that, then a great project like that will come my way :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
OK for the record, I'm never gonna refurbish another old Honda again :!:

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brown Bomber said:
OK for the record, I'm never gonna refurbish another old Honda again :!:
Wanna buy an old Honda :lol: :lol: :lol: hey, hey come on you know you want to :D

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Rod from Oz,
Nice to see you back on it. We will be watching closely. also, never say never. Especially when you know where such a fine unrestored 450 is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I really dig the diamond-pleat seat that's on there, now. Nice, vintage modification...

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Nice starting point, I'm fascinated to see what your 'patina' rebuild will do to it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Cool bike. Subscribed.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would like to see pix of the stock seat pan project when you start it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts