Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
Im wondering where i can find the year of manufacture of my bike?
I want to restore it to the correct style of paint scheme as it has had a dodgy respray over the years and now is not correct.
I have noticed that depending on year there were variations in tank paint scheme.
The bike is a CL450. And I found the chassis number and engine number but thats about it in regards to identification.
Any help will be appreciated.
cheers

·
Registered
52 Posts
There should be a tag attached to the steering head, with a month and year of manufacture. The date listed may be earlier than the model year; my '73 was built in '72.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok,
looking at that site suggested by 66sprint, based on my chassis number CL450 401**** it is a K3 which is 1970....thanks for that.

BUT... this now poses another question...
the engine number is CB450K1E *******.
Does this mean the engine is not original and is an earlier K1 model from a CB?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
27,046 Posts
It DOES mean that it isn't a US spec bike......So the site I posted may not be accurate for your situation....
What are the first three digits following the "E"?
Where are you located?

·
Premium Member
27,046 Posts
Yes....That tells me it is likely a "General Export" or "Australian market" engine (as opposed to a "Japanese Domestic" market or a "US spec" market)......
As far as IF that matches the frame number, I don't know for sure, but it certainly could......Some "Euro" spec models also had CB450K1E- engines.....
BUT, as I've never had my hands on one, I can't say what or if there are any real differences other than the stamping number sequences....

·
Banned
426 Posts
Yes....That tells me it is likely a "General Export" or "Australian market" engine (as opposed to a "Japanese Domestic" market or a "US spec" market)......
As far as IF that matches the frame number, I don't know for sure, but it certainly could......Some "Euro" spec models also had CB450K1E- engines.....
BUT, as I've never had my hands on one, I can't say what or if there are any real differences other than the stamping number sequences....
It is extremely rare to have a bike whose engine and frame numbers are Identical, But I would expect the Model Identifiers to be identical in any form Non Export or otherwise.
This does settle something for me that arose on another thread where My SL175 became subject of reference. A member thought My bike was a 71 and IIRC referred to it as a K1.
Of course with a vin plate stating 8/70 I was correct in correcting Him for that.The only reason I knew it is a K0 was the OEM heat shield attached to a mostly gone muffler. I later found out about the serial identifiers and that these were numbered by consecutive build versus a random number with a "checksum digit" like modern vins.

the frame Number is SL175-101832* and the engine number is SL175E-101842*.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,
I just joined th
If you don't find it, let me know I have a book with Honda build dates.....

In most situations I would be an outcast ... here I am merely normal ...
is list.
I found your message about having a source for VIN and related bike info.
Can you check the VIN of the bike I just received?
It's:
CL350 3012354
I may need some parts, like the side covers too.
Glenn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts