Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! My name is Jon. I recently picked up a 71 CL175 for cheap and am working on restoring it. Looking forward to picking all your brains as a lot of this stuff new to me. Just finished my first ever carb cleaning/rebuild. Piece of cake so far :D

Here the little guy the day I got it...

As of last night...

but with plenty to keep the it company...

Fired it up after getting the carbs back on using some ketchup bottles for fuel supply. Pretty quickly realized it was only running on the left cylinder. Went to pull the right plug and the cap fell off the wire in my hand. Who knows how long the PO had ridden it like that.

So first questions...

1. Can you re-terminate a spark plug wire? Seems silly to not make a wire detachable from the coil. Are there cheap alternatives to replacing the stock coil setup?
2. Also, should I expect damage or issues from the bike being run off one cylinder for who knows how long?

Other than that, it sounds great and idles smoothly. Can't wait to put some new rubber on start riding it.

Thanks!
Jon

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Hi Jon, welcome the group.

Good luck on the 175 and lets hope the rest goes just as well.

Be sure to change your profile and let us know where you're located and, always, we love to see pictures.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Yeah, it's dumb to make coils that way, but it is what it is.

I found some aftermarket coils on EBay, advertised for an SOHC Four, like 750/500, etc.
There are two coils for a Four, each with two plug wires.
You only need one coil (with two wires), since your 175 is a 360-degree twin.
It was cheap, and a stone cold bolt-up on my CB200 - almost the same bike as yours........

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
indeed it was a bummer to design the coils with non replaceable wires... but they did...

who thought in 35+ years we'd still be trying to ride 'em right?

Good luck on the resto.

Throw a few pix up of your other bikes in the other bikes section so we can drool over those too!

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
If the wire is still OK at the coil, you can clip 1/4 inch or so
and re-thread the plug "boot" back on....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
66Sprint said:
If the wire is still OK at the coil, you can clip 1/4 inch or so
and re-thread the plug "boot" back on....
That did the trick! Cleaned the cap and plug real good, clipped a bit off the plug wire, but it all together and little Harold started right up... on both cylinders! Now I guess I have to figure out how to tune a carb ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts