Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks!

I've had my 360 for a week or so and I just started the teardown procedure last night. Here are the results at the end of night one:

Just about everything needs work on this bike, so far I have on order:

Fork stanchions (these are pitted pretty bad)
Fork seals
New heavy duty rear shocks
Rear sets (right side foot peg broke off and the threads look trashed, might as well since I am going cafe style)
All new cables (One of the throttle cables is already missing)
Slim AGM battery

There are tons of things I know I probably still need:

New brake pads and shoes
new brake line
master cylinder rebuild
carb rebuild kit
carb boots
tires, tubes, and strips
chain
rear sprocket at least (looks pretty cupped and worn).
new clutch lever
bar end mirrors

Stuff that came with the bike that I will probably use:
shorty cafe seat (brown, looks darn nice)
clubman bars
MIGHT use the pod filters that came with the bike, but realistically, I doubt they are high-quality ones, so they will probably need to be dumped for something better...still on the fence about trying to get the stock airbox in there as the bike did come with it and I know its the most performant option.

So the bike is going to be going cafe, but there are still quite a few decisions to be made about how far I want to take the insanity. I've read lots of posts about the dangers of pod filters, removed fenders, etc, and I am definitely taking those into account.

Here is a board of inspiration I am going to use for the build: https://pin.it/2xWFnyo

The color scheme is going to be flat black/ charcoal grey and orange, inspired by Poe Dameron's "Black One" X-Wing. I am thinking of painting the frame orange, but undecided.

I got the bike for $500, so far the price for bike and parts all in is hovering around $1100, and I do want to keep from going nuts on the cost (to remain married of course!), so I'll probably do an initial build that is less fancy, and progressively fancy it up over time.

I am yet to hear the engine run, but it at least turns over when you kick it, so I am hoping the internals don't need much work. Unfortunately, now that I've dove into the teardown, I may have a lot of work done before I get the point of trying to fire the engine up again, live, and learn.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Very cool! Keep posting up! This is my Millennium Falcon inspired build with a orange frame. in retrospec I probably should of done a Por15 bare metal coated frame to get the true Millennium Falcon look I was going for. With the orange frame I am more reminded of an Xwing.

Untitled by Jeremy Hedrick, on Flickr

link to build below.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool! What paint did you use to achieve the orange frame? Looking around, I have found some engine enamel that is 'chevy orange' but I am worried it might not come out the right color

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tear down is almost complete and I got my first taste of hitting the frame with the grinder last night. I am a total noob in terms of grinding. It took forever to chop the rear hoop off and I made a mess of it, all because I didn't buy a dedicated cut off wheel and was just using the metal grinding behemoth that came with the grinder. Live and learn I guess. I have to clean up the back section and decide if I want to go through the trouble of welding in a new hoop (I'll get help with the welding as I don't own a machine and it's been a decade since I did any welding!)

Here is the state of the machine as of last night:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Very cool! What paint did you use to achieve the orange frame? Looking around, I have found some engine enamel that is 'chevy orange' but I am worried it might not come out the right color
This is a two stage powdercoat. The 2nd stage has a sparkle in it. I don't remember the color off hand. It was $125 more expensive then the single stage. I paid around $325 for sandblasting and the the powdercoat. Prices of course may vary depending on where you are.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts