Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
You'll need both halves as the crank bearings are line bored and two separate engine halves rarely line up.

Reactions: Herb591

·
Registered
170 Posts
You'll need both halves as the crank bearings are line bored and two separate engine halves rarely line up.
Ya beat me to it Gixxer...

·
Registered
170 Posts
There's a set on ebay right now for $50 plus shipping.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Really, I though that was a British thing and the Japanese had their tolerances under control enough that it wasn't an issue.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Really, I though that was a British thing and the Japanese had their tolerances under control enough that it wasn't an issue.
Nope, that holds true even today.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I've never had issues with mixing and matching crank halves on 450's.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
A bit more - back in The Day, the crank halves were sold individually.
The upper came sans studs, and with a blank area where the serial number goes.
At the shop, you stamped in numbers manually.

The uppers can be prone to breakage of the area that the kick shaft end hold-down thingy is. An 8mm bolt screws in there, and that can break off - rendering the upper useless. Got two of them under the bench right now.

Unless you're being persnickety about being "correct", no need to try and find K3 or K7, or whatever - only in the few states that title on the engine number will it matter.........it's irrelevant otherwise, all the 5-speeds are the same.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unless you're being persnickety about being "correct", no need to try and find K3 or K7, or whatever - only in the few states that title on the engine number will it matter.........it's irrelevant otherwise, all the 5-speeds are the same.
Very persnickety :D
I have two K2 cases here as well. So the choice is to just get it built by using a K2 and then rebuilding if I can fined a "correct" numbered K1 case, or hanging out for the K1 case :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts