Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm wondering whether there are any UK owners out there with a decent spare cam sprocket assembly that's gathering dust and that they might be persuaded to move on.

A lack of experience on my part and some woefully poor service documentation has resulted in me punching the centre out of mine when trying to remove it from the cylinder head. Yeah, yeah, I know. I could hear you shouting at the screen as you read that. Of course it came free when I realised my mistake and drifted it from the other end, but by then it was too, too late . . .

Feel free to hurl abuse below, but PM me if you can help. And thanks in advance.

Neil

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
No shouting from me about your gaffe (but others here might be at this moment :D )... I last worked on a CA72 when I was 15 (my own), and it was the only 72/77 I ever touched - they were pretty much gone (replaced by the 350) by the time I became a full-time Honda mechanic, so I never ran into that situation. Probably should have put this in the Parts Wanted section... one of the Mods can move it for you

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey; thanks for the condolences. I guess it's like anything; you only need to get it right once, but getting to that point often involve some, ahem, learning experiences. In case anyone's interested . . .

. . . tearing down the CL77 engine last night, everything was plain sailing - it's all in good shape - right up to the point where I tried to extract the camshaft. I've never come across a multi-section camshaft before, so it took a little while to understand what was going on. Referring to the shop manual, I managed to work out that one side is locked in place by a ribbed nut, and I managed to get that loose without too much drama. At that point, the manual basically says hit things to drive the camshafts out the sides of the head, but is pretty much silent on exactly how or what to look out for. So using something plastic, I managed to drive out the side that's released by the nut.

I'm then left with the other side that seems to have been press-fit into the sprocket . . . and here's where the inexperience kicks in. Since I could now get something into the centre of the sprocket, I had the bright idea of trying to drift the camshaft out. Unfortunately, the piece that I assumed the drift was up against wasn't part of the opposite camshaft casting - it's a web(?) within the centre of the sprocket that drives the spark advance lobe rod. And it doesn't respond well to being struck from the side. Consequently, I'm now left with a sprocket with a snapped spark advance rod socket. If only I'd known that that all I needed to do was put a nut on the other end of the shaft that was in the sprocket housing, tap it relatively gently and it would release that camshaft, I would be feeling a lot less stupid right now.

Oh well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts