Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I'm currently looking for a camchain roller guide for my CL450K5. I have a part number of 14650319000. All 3 mounting ears broke on mine. Let me know if you have one to sell.

Thanks, Ed

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Ed .... I should have some used spares.....PM me with details, address..... Steve

·
Registered
439 Posts
I've never seen one break like that before.... what happened?
danWI

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
danWI said:
I've never seen one break like that before.... what happened?
danWI

The cam chain is allowed to get loose and flop around - I've seen it more than once.
Here are a couple of shots of a customer bike, same thing happened.
You can see in the second shot that the cam chain actually ground through the head itself.
In spite of all that, the cam chain did not break - that gives you an idea of just how tough those cam chains really are........

With all the collateral damage, and the difficulty in finding parts, this customer ended up putting almost $1,000 into this engine - less than $200 of that was my labor for the total (and I do mean total) rebuild.

Photos were taken after the cleanup and valve job.......

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
tbpmusic said:
- less than $200 of that was my labor for the total (and I do mean total) rebuild.

Photos were taken after the cleanup and valve job.......
Dang! I'm going to start sending my motors to you. Even after shipping I could send one of my hourly employees home, work their position and come out ahead of the game. Hmmmmm, wouldn't be as much fun though. :D

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Well, I only charge $35 per hour, and I can totally strip and reassemble a 450 engine in 4 hours, easy.....that's barring broken/stripped bolts and such.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
tbpmusic said:
Well, I only charge $35 per hour, and I can totally strip and reassemble a 450 engine in 4 hours, easy.....that's barring broken/stripped bolts and such.
Thats certainly a great rate for someone. However most people don't need to have the motor just taken apart and put back together. There is the time to lap the valves, hone the cylinders, decarbonize the valves and pistons and we haven't even gotten the cases, cylinders and head into the solvent tank or pressure washer yet. Then there is always the paint....like I said, your's is a great rate for all that time AND to be assured of quality job.....priceless. :)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I typically allow my machinist to do valves if they need it - he has a machine that does a perfect job every time. I think he charges $15 per to lap them in, $35 per to cut new seats and lap - really reasonable, all things considered (like the zillion bucks he paid for all the equipment). I really don't hand-lap enough any more to be really good at it- there's a lot of "art" to it......

Honing just takes a few minutes, and I can't in good conscience charge for that - but boring is the machinist's job again. I don't mark up any machining costs, just charge back to the bill.
Cleaning and painting is just time and materials.....depends on how far the customer wants to go.....many guys prefer to do all that themselves anyway.
There's always lots of down time waiting for parts, so they'll just pick up the pieces, then return them all clean and nice.......
I don't even charge for time spent on the web tracking down parts.

Now that I've completely hijacked this thread, I'll shut up now........

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HerrDeacon / danWI -

To answer your question of what happened, exactly what Bill said. What a hard way (and expensive) to learn a simple lesson... keep those tensioners adjusted.

I am completely new to the world of motorcycling and learning as I go. After this repair and before I ride it again, I think I'll go through all the tune up and maintenance procedures listed in the manual. It looks like the P.O. didn't have any maintenance performed, but did manage to booger up most of the case screws.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have a spare BUT I'm off to Australia for 3 weeks in a couple of days and doubt if I can find it and ship before then. Let me know if you're interested. Wheres NEPA. Cheers Peter

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Peter,

Thanks for the offer, but I have a line on one. Besides, it may cost more to ship to the US than I could afford. Have a safe trip...

Ed

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
ED... Will mail it Tuesday when the P.O. opens....... :D Steve

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Steve,
Thank you much. I dropped off my head and new valves at the machine shop yesterday to have them seated. They said I should have it back inside of a week, so hopefully I'll be back on the road soon. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts