Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
The CL 450 K5 model (sold 72/73) had the "oval" shaped tank, different from any other year CL tank shape.... I assume that is what you seek.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
66Sprint said:
The CL 450 K5 model (sold 72/73) had the "oval" shaped tank, different from any other year CL tank shape.... I assume that is what you seek.....
Yep that's the ones.
If you hear of one let me know.
Thanks.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Other than the tank and seat being different, there really is not much more that is unique or terribly unlike any other year 5-speed model..... (you could put a K5 tank and seat on a K4 or K6 and almost no-one would know the difference).....Just curious....What about the K5 do you find so compelling? ...I ask because my personal preference runs to the K0 (D) or K1 tanks......( Love the round wing emblems)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
66Sprint said:
Other than the tank and seat being different, there really is not much more that is unique or terribly unlike any other year 5-speed model..... (you could put a K5 tank and seat on a K4 or K6 and almost no-one would know the difference).....Just curious....What about the K5 do you find so compelling? ...I ask because my personal preference runs to the K0 (D) or K1 tanks......( Love the round wing emblems)
I just like things that are different and I like to restore back to original. Okay..Yeah I'm an oddball.

Here is my current oddball. 1980 CB750F DOHC Super Sport. Just finished it 2 months ago.
Hope to make the CL look just as good.
Here is a link to my site with the restoration pictures: http://polymer52.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=4565570

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Very NICE work!......Your 750 is BEAUTIFUL!..... :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
Ooooooh sweet lordy... Wanna sell her?? ;)

GB :mrgreen:
Actually yes. This is a hobby and after I'm finished with a project I usually sell them to finance the next project.
It was a trophy winner first time out (photo 1).
I already have the sales ad ready to send out but I have been having some fun on it before I sell it.
Hope I don't get in trouble for showing it here but here is the ad:

1980 Honda CB750F Super Sport.
Four cylinder dual overhead cam, 5 speed with the 150mph speedometer.
Needs nothing! Runs fantastic. Almost show room condition.
Many CB's were made but not that many Super Sports. This highly collectible bike has been meticulously restored from the ground up. You won't be disappointed.

Everything from the frame to the engine has been painted, polished, buffed or replaced.
Clear title registered to me.
Many NOS parts including exhaust system.
Carburetors rebuilt.
Fork tubes replaced.
Brake calipers and master cylinders have all been rebuilt.
Custom led bar graph voltmeter installed.
New alternator rotor and stator.
Many of the original wire connectors have been replaced with reproductions for good electrical connections.
New seat cover
New battery
New tires.
New steering bearings and cups.
New chain.
New Handlebars
NOS valve cover gasket
NOS side cover gaskets
NOS fuel petcock.
NOS exhaust system
Halogen headlight
New 1982 decal set because I liked the wider 1982 stripes better then the thin 1980 ones.
High quality activated urethane paint on tank, side covers, headlight bucket, rear seat extension and front fender.
Parts were stripped to bare metal, primed with high quality 2k primer, painted with 3 coats of Jet Black paint, decals installed then all was followed with 4 coats of custom clear. No need to worry about premature fading, peeling or accidental gasoline drips on the decals.
Much more. Too much to remember. $4000 cash only.
For more pictures see my web site at: http://polymer52.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=4565570

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Your project looks great as does the other work on your picture log.

What paint did you use on the engine?
Where did you get the replacement stripes/Honda Decals?
Can you give us some detail on how you cleaned up the instrument cluster?
Were the shocks original? If so, how did you clean them up and replace the decal?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
> What paint did you use on the engine?
I used Dupli-Color 500° ceramic low gloss black engine paint, part # DE1634 available from any FLAPS.
The engine has to be perfectly clean or it won't stay. I used mineral spirits then PPG aluminum conditioner before painting.
It is impervious to oils but gas will mar the paint. Next time I'll use a catalyzed paint.

> Where did you get the replacement stripes/Honda Decals?
CB Decals division of AFE Graphics. http://www.cbdecals.afegraphics.com/index.php?adminshopping=&cat_id=9

> Were the shocks original? If so, how did you clean them up and replace the decal?
They are the original springs, brackets, hardware etc cleaned with Turtle wax chrome polish and alot of elbow grease then followed with Mothers cleaner wax. The dampers are replacements.
I bought a complete decal kit that contained every decal that was originally on the bike new including the shock Mylar decals. I didn't use all of them for aesthetic reasons.

> Can you give us some detail on how you cleaned up the instrument cluster?
On the lenses I used Novis plastic polish and a soft buff mounted in a die grinder from a Harbor Freight Tools aluminum polishing kit. A drill would work also.
The outer case was repainted using Kirker Automotive's Hot Rod Black catalyzed paint as was all the small plastic parts on the bike.
All the writing was repainted by hand...and that ain't fun.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
polymer said:
> What paint did you use on the engine?
I used Dupli-Color 500° ceramic low ....

> Where did you get the replacement stripes/Honda Decals?
CB Decals division of AFE Graphics. http://www.cbdecals.afegraphics.com/index.php?adminshop ping=&cat_id=9

> Were the shocks original? If so, how did you clean them up and replace the decal?
They are the original springs, brackets,......

> Can you give us some detail on how you cleaned up the instrument cluster?
On the lenses I used Novis plastic polish ..........
Thanks for the through and complete answers. I, too, did not know of the AFE Graphics. That is quite a find on your part.

I think you'll find on this board that we love details on restorations. It's both helpful for those of use working on projects and for those that come along in the future.

I spent a fair amount of time going through your pictures. I'm really interested in Corvairs as well and one of these days I'll find a good CB1100F to restore so I can relive my 20's when I bought one new (first brand new vehicle I ever bought). I crashed it a couple of years later and couldn't afford to fix it so I hauled it around the country with me as I moved with my job. I finally a salvage yard near Naperville, IL to come haul it away for me. :(

Ahhhh, youth is wasted on the young. :)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
polymer said:
AFE graphics main site is here http://www.afegraphics.com/reproset.htm but for some reason they don't list Honda stuff even though they do have it. You have to email them when you need Honda stuff.
Copyright concerns maybe?

That's because Honda sues everyone - not the first graphics site to drop Honda stuff........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts