Honda Twins banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine got trashed so I need another. PM me asap and let me know what you have. Post pics here and let me see. Will pay through paypal. I will be shipping it directly to restocycles.

IMG_20170726_131301056.jpg

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
That one you posted isn't a '69 cover, BTW. They aren't as fancy...

2023bc5a-689c-4d69-9386-67995b69fbf4.jpg

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it is an SL motor. Do they differ on the plate?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
As far as I know, the covers are the same on all '69 350s.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. Good to know. I'll be looking for a period correct cover without the surround - just the inset HONDA. Appreciate it XLX

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
No problem. If you're buying one anyway, you might as well get the correct one. ;)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep :)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Curtis,
I just updated this info to my friend Dan in Detroit and did say to him you are only looking for the stator cover?
Thanks Bill. I will reach out to him now as well.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Hey Tom - CMSNL says that they did. And my motor is an SL350E-1000XXX which matches that
I think the guy you bought yours from swapped engines with a K0 (I do not believe the factory would have offered options like that then, maybe not now either), which would explain how you got it the way you did... and you are right, they did release them on August 15th, 1969 - but here in Florida, where I have lived since '61, the titles at motorcycle dealerships changed to the new model year in September of every year, so that explains why I never saw a '69 SL350K0... that would have lasted 2 weeks, likely a very small number would have sold. How rare would it be to have one of them...

SL350K0-K1.jpg

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah Tom, the PO was a shady sorta person. I knew the whole story about a "special order" was just hooey but wanted to confirm my suspicions.

As for the Florida titled '69 SL350s that's funny. I never even thought about that.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yeah Tom, the PO was a shady sorta person. I knew the whole story about a "special order" was just hooey but wanted to confirm my suspicions.

As for the Florida titled '69 SL350s that's funny. I never even thought about that.
Yeah, I was working at Barney's Outboard Marine (Mercury dealer) and Honda Motorcycles in the summer before my senior year in school and bought a new CL450K4. The title clerk at the time asked me if I wanted her to hold the title paperwork until after Sept. 1 so it would be a '72 (I had bought it in late July or early August of '71, one of the two) and of course, I said yes... looks better for re-sale, which is what I did a lot of back then going from smaller to larger while living at home and expenses were low.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Yes, the '69 SL350 was basically a jazzed-up CB/CL model. Same electric-start engine, CV carbs, frame (with a fender loop added), etc. From early 1970-on, it was more off-road friendly, with a lighter frame, no electric start, smaller battery, regular slide carbs, and so on.

I got my '69 CL350 in late August of 1969, and it was sold as a '70 model on the paperwork.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all of the responses guys. I found one - period correct - for cheeeeeeep from an awesome guy (Detroit Dan) so I'm good for now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts