Honda Twins banner

WTB - 1981 CM400C Side Covers (Left & Right)

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Alan F. 
#1 ·
WTB - 1981 CM400C Side Covers (Left & Right)
Looking for a set, but I'll start with the left or right.
Repaint or unpainted are fine, but please no real damage or missing tabs.

#10 ·
Words of advice on the side covers.
The rear tab is the one that always breaks off. Lube the rubber with some silicon grease. Preventive repair for the tab is to drill several small holes at the base and on the tab. Liberally coat the tab with JB Weld, steel type, so it squeezes thru those holes. Fill the inside of the tab if you can and spread it on to the cover itself.

Reactions: danno
#11 ·
battery side tabs. I broke my first and only tab soon after I bought my first CM new in 1979. First time winterizing I off course took the battery out. UGH!. I used to white lithium grease them. I have a couple of extra sets and 1, I have experimented. I took a rasp or file and gently drew it across the tab (lightly). 1 stroke at a time. After each stroke I replaced it so as not to over do it and have it fling off or even flutter when it catches the wind. Three light strokes and "Voila" easy on easy off. I still use a film of lithium grease but there is no twisting and anxiety. They are a commodity and should be treated as such.

#12 ·
Over on SOHC/4 the big tip is to replace those old and dried out rubber grommets, getting the side covers off when you want is important, but keeping them on the bike when you want them to stay on is another. Someone had a story of one of the early CB750 side covers flying off on the highway and being run over by oncoming traffic :eek:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.