Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
The picture won't enlarge so it's not possible to tell if the oil leak is from the shifter gouge or elsewhere. We've seen them leak from really bad gouges in them from shifter impact on a left side fall, but more often than not the gouges aren't really cracks that leak. Are you sure it isn't coming from one of the o-rings on the screws, like the bottom one?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The picture won't enlarge so it's not possible to tell if the oil leak is from the shifter gouge or elsewhere. We've seen them leak from really bad gouges in them from shifter impact on a left side fall, but more often than not the gouges aren't really cracks that leak. Are you sure it isn't coming from one of the o-rings on the screws, like the bottom one?
Tom,
Thanks for the reply — If the bike is running and placed on the kick stand, I can see the oil making it's way through the 'crack'. It fell over late last year when the kick stand was set near a curb and didn't fully extend. I thught at the time it was just a gouge but it appears to be a full crack. I can feel a strong edge along the area with my finger as well.
Scott

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Well, that's not good news. They're getting more rare by the month and when you do find one it's usually outrageous money. I'd consider getting it welded on the backside of the crack if you can find a machine shop or talented welder who can properly heliarc. Then you'd just re-polish the outside to get rid of any discoloration from the heat and you'd keep your patina

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, that's not good news. They're getting more rare by the month and when you do find one it's usually outrageous money. I'd consider getting it welded on the backside of the crack if you can find a machine shop or talented welder who can properly heliarc. Then you'd just re-polish the outside to get rid of any discoloration from the heat and you'd keep your patina
Thanks for the advice, Tom.
I'll start looking around for a replacement... or a welder!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Thanks for the advice, Tom.
I'll start looking around for a replacement... or a welder!
If you can find a guy who can do this below, then you'll get a nice job you can live with and I'm sure the outside won't look a bit different after polishing up

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
JB weld the back of the cover and it should be fine. That's what I did with mine.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
BTW these covers are highly coveted and you'll see very high dollar price tags on them for sale on ebay and elsewhere.
I'd suggest to fix yours as stated previously.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
BTW these covers are highly coveted and you'll see very high dollar price tags on them for sale on ebay and elsewhere.
I'd suggest to fix yours as stated previously.
It is crazy where the price of these have gone in the last year or so. Before it was the early K0 and K1 style that were harder to find and therefore commanded a higher price. It seems with EBay and people polishing them up for sale the price has become inflated even more. Prices do not reflect the difference between the early vs later style now. To me a fair price for a late style is about $25. Good luck finding it for that now though.

Reactions: 76TWIN

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I've seen guys buying complete engines just for the covers.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I wish the rust-yard a few miles from me was more easily accessed, I might be able to get a couple of covers from there and I'm not sure the guy would realize the potential value... until I went back for a couple more, then the kind of guy he is would immediately realize they're worth more. (reasoning: I wasted $140 there - he wouldn't even take $125 - for a rusted front end from a CM185 and an even more rusted stock 450 rear wheel... and only a week later my local buddy Ray told me about the guy I got the CM250C and CB650C carcasses from FOR FREE, from which all the stuff I needed for the drag bike project came)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts