Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode 1.5 miles saturday and about 20 sunday.

Let a "friend" try the bike... they cracked the throttle and slammed into a tree in the yard.

What should i check for? Do i need to remove the wheel and re balance etc?

Is there a good way to balance the wheel without removing it ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Oh.. check your upper triple tree clamps.. see if one didn't get broke/cracked..

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'm gonna have to remember this the next time I (think of) trying to get my wife to ride my soft tail... I'm sure she could, but I don't want to end up posting a thread.."Regretful decisions..."

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like she just got an A in Target Fixation 101. Hopefully the tuition fee won't be too much.
Seriously, though, glad she's okay.
My exact words were "where your eyes go, si will the bike"

Her exact words were "just go get on Amazon and order your new ****!"

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, check all of those things plus the triple clamp. You should take the tire off the bike to check the balance. As for your friend, she isn't the first or the last to do that exact thing. Stuff happens. If no one is hurt, you both did good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, check all of those things plus the triple clamp. You should take the tire off the bike to check the balance. As for your friend, she isn't the first or the last to do that exact thing. Stuff happens. If no one is hurt, you both did good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Thanks bro ... was worth it that she took an interest!

... but my carb tjat swiped the tree is leaking a ton now.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Ummm... Why would the wheel need to be checked for balance? Balance weights are used to adjust for the fact that the tire/tube combination isn't necessarily in balance. Running into something should have zero effect on balance.
I'd be inclined to check that the wheel is true (i.e. not bent), which can be done simply by putting the bike on its center stand and spinning the front wheel and looking for side-to-side movement, or flat spots on the rim. Side-to-side play can be corrected (to some degree) by spoke adjustment, but a flat spot generally calls for a new rim.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I would 2nd the double check the TOP Triple Tree.

In your 3rd pic it looks to have a hairline crack it might just be a scratch in the paint hard to tell from a pic. but they a fragile.

The carb is most likely just a stuck float or something like a small piece of rust dislodged by the shock that is preventing it from sealing.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Old putz ... i had actually meant "true"... a flat spot as you say. I used the wrong term.
No sweat.
I didnt realize just visually was "close enough"
It's not as critical as it is on a bicycle with rim brakes, but still worth checking. Easiest if done with two people. Put the bike on its center stand and hoist the front wheel by placing a jack under the front of the engine (pad with a block of wood, preferably). Have your "friend" spin the front wheel while you brace a finger against the fork slider with the fingertip -just- touching the side of the rim. Feel for the rim moving toward you (more pressure on finger tip) or away from you (finger tip no longer touching rim). Using your finger tip as a visual reference point, you'll also notice any flat spots.
The rim doesn't have to be -perfectly- straight; a millimeter or two of side-to-side runout is acceptable (check the Factory Service Manual for actual specs). Truing the rim is accomplished by selectively tightening (or possibly loosening) spokes a little at a time (a quarter turn) until the runout is within spec.
HTH

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
..^^^^ do yourself a BIG favor!! Find a good used Rebel!! They are cheap, easy to fix, WELL BALANCED, and not to "torquey". I will swear by them for first bikes every day!!
Not a big investment, IF she likes it, have her take her test on it.. ride it for a while and we all know it will only be a matter of time before she "wants something faster"...,
I made the mistake of signing my wife up for the H.D. (Beginners-yeah right) class. I did not go with her due to work. She said she got A LOT of REALY good info safety wise, but the class (atmosphere) was intimidating. She made it as far as the first riding day. The bikes were fine but she had NEVER handled a motorcycle before... and they actually expect a first time rider to pass the test the following day.
... anyway, I bought her a rebel, on the weekends we would go to a (unoccupied) parking lot .. I set up cones and plastic trash cans. After a while she would practice tight slow turns on her own.
One morning I woke up (working the late shift).. she says "look what I got".. she shows me her endorsmsnt.. she went when she felt comfortable..
And YES, after a few months.. she wanted something "faster".. so, now she rides her 72 CB450 Dohc to school everyday (weather permitting).. and YES, I sold the Rebel for what I paid for it..

Sorry, I just realized you said she has "NO" interest.. I first read "has now interest"... well maybe this will help someone else with a spouse that maybe a "little skittish" riding for the first time.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Hope your wife and the bike are both ok in the long run. I let my wife try to ride a Honda 50 I used to own. She nailed the throttle and rode about 30 feet straight into the back of the house. No serious damage to anything or anyone, but she was through with motorcycles...ha ha

1 - 20 of 23 Posts