Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Glad to be here. Hope to meet new people and make new friends. I'm turning 61 this December and, unable to shake the racing bug, have purchased a 69 CB450 to (hopefully) enter in AHRMA events.
I'm retired from the auto service field (service advisor, manager, FoMoCo foreman just to name a few jobs I've had). My passion is racing. Road Racing to be precise. I'm an avid follower of MOTOGP, WSBK and AMA (or whatever it's going to be called) Superbike--favorite classes to watch are Super Stock and Super Sport. I'm a former woulda coulda shoulda WERA racer. Wife and family came first, racing second so, never got it out of my system. Now, I've raised a wife and kids and they have moved on. The wife--(EX-wife) keeps hanging around but, it's my turn.
Previous bikes are (in order of most recent):
A 69 Honda CB450, 04 BMW R1150RT, 07Kymco Agility 125 Scooter, Yamaha Vino 125 scooter are currently in my garage.
Have also owned: 05 RC51, 84 BMW R100RT, 02RC51, 00 Superhawk, 96 Suzuki RF900R, 84 VF1000F, 69 CBX, 70 CB350, 87 FZ600R, 83 550 Vision, 77 CB100, 78 850 MotoGuzzi LeMans, 73 RD350, 73 DT250, 71 SL350, 71 CB750, 68 Norton P11A, 65 305 Superhawk, and last but not least, a 1959 Cushman Eagle.
I live in Medway, Ohio and sold my house to move into my "man cave". A 14X70 mobile home with an attached 1 1/2 car garage and covered driveway in the boondocks. I enjoy firing up my little chimnea on my back patio at night, listening to the owls and cows and other noises that make a joke out of "peace and quiet".
I tend to ride faster than average. I'm not much for "putting along" especially in the corners. I make frequent trips to visit my friends in Saluda NC. Current favorite road is 215, 178 and 276 around Caesars Head SC

I also am finding much enjoyment in going to AMA SBK races such as Barber and VIR. Have been going to Mid Ohio for 25+ years-- both vintage days and AMA race. Love to camp out on motorcycle trips.

hello to all!

Bob

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
WOZERD said:
have purchased a 69 CB450 to (hopefully) enter in AHRMA events.
Bob
You need to introduce yourself to Terry Naughton and Team Hansen - they have everything you'll need to make your K2 a competitive racer.

Good luck, I envy you....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Welcome!
But I have to ask, what does a '69 CBX look like? I'm hoping you meant a '79 CBX, unless of course you have the street version of the 250/6 race bike...
:p

Tom

p.s. Glad to see you here and that you're still active in motorcycling. I'm also happy to see that a "person" of your establishment has owned 2 RC51's. Gotta love the V-Twins! I also had one of the '82 Visions by "that other company". Consistently rode the Old Lewiston grade in Idaho at 7'52" over ten miles on that old horse -- what a blast!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup-- I did write 69! D-OH!
Yes, a 1979.

And, have talked to Terry. Heck of a guy. I called him to get some prices on engine top end work. I had ridden my 450 home and it ran "OK". Next ride out, it began to misfire. I found the left spark plug was loose. So loose it fell out in my hand. I re-installed it with no problems. I never checked the right. A few little rides later (getting the points, carbs etc cleaned and adjusted) and, it began misfiring again. I found the right spark plug loose also. I wasn't as lucky. Tried to turn it out and-- resistance. Tried to screw it in and-- resistance. Spent quite some time trying to get it out but-- I ended up having to put some real pressure on it-- taking the threads out with it. Best guess is the fellow I bought it from-- (George, he was 34 when he bought the bike new-- he's 72 now and his wife made him sell all his bikes-- he was in tears when I rode away), had taken the plugs out but only hand threaded them in. The 56 mile ride home and the few miles around the block I rode it caused the plugs to come loose. The right must have vibrated enough to damage the threads.
Terry told me about Steel-Serts. He took the time to get on the web and go to JC Whitney, look up the part number and everything. I ordered a set and boom-- back in business. Didn't have to pull the head or anything.
I'm trying to contact and engine builder in Wadsworth Ohio. His name is Bob. Supposedly, he is even better than Terry. Whats nice is, he's just a couple of hours away. I can take my engine to him, and pick it up in the back of my SUV rather than drive to Chicago or send it freight.
The real hold up for me is insurance-- health insurance. I'm in that limbo between Medicaid and Medicare. I am getting SSD and I think Medicaid would frown on paying for a hospital visit due to me crashing while racing a motorcycle. I had a stroke and I'm quite forgetful. I had a stroke and so I'm -- wait, already said that! Plus, the leg circulation isn't real good. But, I can still ride!!

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
This kind of reminds me of Anthony Hopkins in the film "The World's Fastest Indian". It's well worth a watch. Keep up the good work, you still sound very young to me! Ray.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Here we go. Another old timer... :roll: :lol: Hint > (My sole purpose here is to give people sh*t)

I'm kiddin ya Bob! Nice to have you here! That's quite the impressive collection you've had over the years. Would'nt it be nice to have them all now? You'd already be racing!!

Welcome aboard, GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
Here we go. Another old timer... :roll: :lol: Hint > (My sole purpose here is to give people sh*t)

I'm kiddin ya Bob! Nice to have you here! That's quite the impressive collection you've had over the years. Would'nt it be nice to have them all now? You'd already be racing!!

Welcome aboard, GB :mrgreen:

OH gawd yes!!! How cool would that be? I'm not real religious but, here's my idea of heaven: All my bikes I've ever owned, (brand new) and, all my pets and all my best friends (all in our prime)-- and our choice of race tracks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
If that's heaven then what in the hell are we waiting for?!?!!? :lol:

P.S. You forgot the GIRLS!!! All 21, blonde, dimepieces. ;)

GB :mrgreen:

As an "old timer" I have learned to leave off the "girls". They cost money, they demand your time, effort and energy. They slowly consume all your brain activity. They make you feel guilty for going for a ride, risking your life (guess in heaven you wouldn't have to worry about that) and spending money. Yet they won't join you or support you. Some will-- but they are so rare and, for those of you lucky enough to have a woman like that-- cherish her.

So, no-- no wimmins. I love em (too much) but, I can't tell you how nice it is to finally be able to think with my "big head".

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't wait--DO IT NOW.
Don't procrastinate yourself to the point of wondering if you still have what it takes. It gets harder every year -- by the time you get to my age, it starts getting harder every minute!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
that is the plan for this spring... going to build a race bike... got to get married first so that is where all my money is going... but after that, as long as i build her her PINK and WHITE chopper... then i can build my race bike... man you would think after building her 2 bikes already that would be enough!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts