Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got mine back from the shop, all bead blasted and looking like new. I'm considering clearcoating with Duplicolor engine enamel clear, which has a heat tolerance of 500 degrees. http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html.. Several people have used the paint and seem to have good results.

Has anyone done this? The reason I'd do it would be so I could clean it up more easily in the future. Do you think this would be the case, since the surface isn't perfectly smooth?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Been there-done that...
DON"T put it on heavy enough to look pretty, just enough to have full even coverage. That stuff WILL yellow on cylinder heads if it's the least bit thick.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I agree. I painted my '71 CL350 and it looked great. Took it to Mid-Ohio and rode it around. When I got back to my spot it looked like someone had spit tobacco all over the motor. I had to strip it all off and start over. Not fun! The reason it turns brown are the gases trying to escape through the layers of paint. I had a good 'ol boy that restores XS-650's tell me that he bakes his cylinders in an old Bar-BQ at 175 for a 1/2 hour. He would let it cool and repeat the process one more time. I have had luck with Eastwoods Alumi-Blast paint. It's a nice silver. I would love to find out what silver paint others are using. I have a few NOS side covers for my Bomber and have never found a paint that looks like the original.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was going to do my side cases, cam chain tensioner, cam case top, and cam chain tensioner. Hopefully they won't turn yellow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts