Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have purchased a 78 Honda Hawk II that ran well but had an extremely rusted tank so decided to kreem treat it. After the treatment the first time i turned the fuel valve on gas began to leak from what looks like a small protruding pin located slightly above the float bowl on the right carb, as well as out of the drain line. I assume that some of the rust from the tank gunked up my carbs and thats what's causing it to spit fuel out, but I was curious as someone newer to motorcycle carbs should I run into many issues removing the carbs/ inspecting them/ reinstalling them?

·
Registered
341 Posts
That knob is the float bowl vent. If you are mechanically inclined and know how carbs work, otherwise take them to a shop

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That knob is the float bowl vent. If you are mechanically inclined and know how carbs work, otherwise take them to a shop

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Mostly with moped carbs but I think I should do alright with the maintenance manual and service manual on hand. Thanks for the quick response

·
Registered
755 Posts
Kreme is most unfortunate -- it has a tendency to break down. Make sure it's not liner that's gunking up your carbs.

But to answer your question, carbs aren't that tough to pull of and inspect. They aren't that tough to rebuild either. Get a manual, remember everything you do to pull them off, make sure you understand how to clean and tune them.

If the liner shows signs of breaking down, you should clean it out and reline your tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kreme is most unfortunate -- it has a tendency to break down. Make sure it's not liner that's gunking up your carbs.

But to answer your question, carbs aren't that tough to pull of and inspect. They aren't that tough to rebuild either. Get a manual, remember everything you do to pull them off, make sure you understand how to clean and tune them.

If the liner shows signs of breaking down, you should clean it out and reline your tank.
The kreem treatment was done quite recently, and I also installed a new fuel valve so I don't think that's necessarily the problem but I don't know anything until I open em up. If it has a tendency to break down what other tank liners would you recommend?

·
Registered
755 Posts
POR-15 and Redkote are two that I have used for years with no problems -- you've got to follow the directions to the letter, however. Redkote is a 2-step process, POR-15 is a three step process. If your liner is bad, you can remove it with acetone. You can thin Redkote with acetone, and don't have to flush the tank if there's acetone in it, so that might be a better bet.

Other people like Caswell, but I haven't used it.

Reactions: cain

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
There's a float bowl drain screw on the left side of each float bowl. Open that up with the petcock open and let it drain for a couple of minutes. That may flush the debris out of the float needle seat and cure the over flow. Once it's flush turn the petcock off then close the drain screw tight. Turn the petcock on while tapping on the float bowl with a screwdriver handle to jar the float needle. If the overflow continues the carbs have to come off, if it stops then you're probably fixed but watch it for a few rides to confirm.
NOTE: ​there's a good possibility that fuel has entered the engine a diluted the oil. Minimally smell the oil for gas but better to just change it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a float bowl drain screw on the left side of each float bowl. Open that up with the petcock open and let it drain for a couple of minutes. That may flush the debris out of the float needle seat and cure the over flow. Once it's flush turn the petcock off then close the drain screw tight. Turn the petcock on while tapping on the float bowl with a screwdriver handle to jar the float needle. If the overflow continues the carbs have to come off, if it stops then you're probably fixed but watch it for a few rides to confirm.
NOTE: ​there's a good possibility that fuel has entered the engine a diluted the oil. Minimally smell the oil for gas but better to just change it.
It stopped coming out of the float bowl vent and now it's just draining from the overflow tube. Started as a heavy stream and now its just slightly dripping.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
There's a brass standpipe, like a toilet tank has, in the float bowl that allows excess fuel to flow out the drain hose that's supposed to be attached to the nipple on the float bowl. Having a slight trickle means the float level is still high which could mean the float needle isn't seating completely. Try the flush routing I outlined and see if that cures it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts