Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of looking for a Honda 305 Dream to restore and was interested to see if it was possible to fit a CB77 Superhawk engine into it.I don't think a 'purist' would appreciate this thread but I don't even own either bike yet.Do you know if this has ever been accomplished ? Bill

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
You have to swap the right hand crankcase cover and possibly the lid on the cylinder head. Points wiring will be different and the dual coils from the hawk will need to be installed. Whether or not the carbs will clear the dream frame is another question.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have to swap the right hand crankcase cover and possibly the lid on the cylinder head. Points wiring will be different and the dual coils from the hawk will need to be installed. Whether or not the carbs will clear the dream frame is another question.
I get it.
I believe the crankshafts are different also,which is why I would consider a complete motor swap of the CB77 Superhawk engine with it's 180 degree crankshaft into the CA77 305 Dream which has a more touring oriented(mid-range torque) 20hp engine with a 360 degree crankshaft.
I would only do this swap if I had access to the parts,but at this time I'm just considering how I would do it if I could. thanks

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
With a few external parts switched, it bolts right, the 180 degree crank has nothing to do with it. All else it needs is the dual coil setup installed/wired, and a different throttle cable.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
A single carb head doesn't work on a 180 degree crankshaft motor. With the uneven firing pulses and a single carb, one cylinder won't get enough gas/air mix. It will run but it will run poorly.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
You could swap the pistons out for the CB/CL versions to get a higher compression ratio.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts