Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm no mechanic (yet), but my rocker arms look inconsistent. Or rather the parts that ride on the cam shaft look pitted and worn. The intake arms on both look pretty worn down, the exhaust arms looks better but still sorta worn. Theres no damage to the camshaft as far as I can tell and it all measures to spec.

I read on here I could get them shipped off to get resurfaced, but wanted to see if I need to do that or replace them or what. What exactly am I looking for to make that call?
Can post more photos if needed.

'72 CL350

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
The exhausts look OK but those intakes are done for. Look on eBay and see if you can find a set with two that look as good as your exhaust rockers. I needed one for my CD175 and bought a set of four for just $25 where three looked fine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The exhausts look OK but those intakes are done for. Look on eBay and see if you can find a set with two that look as good as your exhaust rockers.
Ah, was afraid of that. One of them looks deformed. I'll check eBay, I figure it'd be quicker than getting them resurfaced anyways.

Anyone know how thick they should be? I haven't been able to find the specs for that. If I can just replace the intake arms that'd be great.
I read that there's two different types of rocker arms for 350s, based on what year it was manufactured. Like one is "fatter" than the other. What's that based on?

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
The rockers are different length/angle on early motors. You should be OK with '73 rockers in a '72. You need to check with the worn ones when you get them. While your waiting do the oil transfer piece mod (same as on 360 but easier) Bike was used at consistent high rpm for rockers to wear like that (or run real low on oil?)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
While your waiting do the oil transfer piece mod (same as on 360 but easier) Bike was used at consistent high rpm for rockers to wear like that (or run real low on oil?)
What do you mean by oil transfer piece mod?

RVA & Ancientdad- I just called and checked, it's $8 and some change per rocker. I think that's the move I'm going to go with.
I don't think I need my cam done, it measures within spec and seems clean, but is there anything I should check to make sure?

Edit: I called deltacam back to see what they needed in terms of personal info and how to pay, and asked the guy I spoke about cam wear and he said "if you have worn rockers you have a worn cam", so I guess I'll go with that. Wouldn't hurt to get it all done at once I guess. even though the lobes are measuring to spec.

·
Registered
108 Posts
What do you mean by oil transfer piece mod?

RVA & Ancientdad- I just called and checked, it's $8 and some change per rocker. I think that's the move I'm going to go with.
I don't think I need my cam done, it measures within spec and seems clean, but is there anything I should check to make sure?

Edit: I called deltacam back to see what they needed in terms of personal info and how to pay, and asked the guy I spoke about cam wear and he said "if you have worn rockers you have a worn cam", so I guess I'll go with that. Wouldn't hurt to get it all done at once I guess. even though the lobes are measuring to spec.
I’d agree with Delta Cam that if the rockers are worn so is the cam. I just got mine done a month or so ago, beautiful work. Something to keep in mind is the later style “skinny base” cam needs the “312” rockers. 312 needs to be on the side of the cam. Early style “fat base” cam needs rockers with no markings. I have no idea what crazypj is referring to as the transfer mod but I am interested.

Edit: found this with a google search . CB360 Mod

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Yes - to the "IF YOU HAVE WORN ROCKERS YOU HAVE A WORN CAM".

These surfaces have a lot of action that goes on with them. If one is worn the other is too.
They need to be done as matched sets if you want them to have and longivity.

Why would you cheap out on the last $90.00 and end up possibly haveing to pull the entire motor to re-do it after a failure in the future.
Cheap insurance on a job well done.
Delta Cam does good work - trust them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts