Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off let my just say Hello and its a pleasure to be here at the .net not the .com

I am not an english major so Mispelling lack of punctuation and Grammar are my strong suites.(You have been Warned)

A Not very Brief History...
I am 21 yrs old my uncle had this motorcycle sitting on the side of his barn. I instantly fell in love with this bike. I told him hey you think we could get that ol girl runnin? his reply was last time I used it she ran pretty good I'd say well four years ago.

So this things been sitting for for years. (When I see a challange I GO FOR IT!)
This may not seem like much of a challenge, but when your 21 and you have never rode a motorcycle, nor have you ever even understood a carburetor (Growing up with FI) I kinda got a little excited!
So I went out to Sears and got me a Battery. (Charged it ofcourse)
Connected the terminals. What do you know the starter works...But that fuel is 4 yrs old.
Drained it replaced with mid range stuff cause I was unaware of the requirements.
Choked her...Gave her a shock with the starter...NOTHING
My uncle in his infinant wisdom decides a good idea would be to pop the clutch down the driveway. He lives on a farm and the driveway is on an incline but its pretty far away from the barn and I was the one pushing the bike.
About halfway to the driveway I had enough of pushing this 300+lbs bike and so I stopped DETERMINED to get er going under her own power. I sat there for about 3 minutes trying and trying to get it to turn over. When all seemed lost, I gave it one more shot and what do ya know! she started Purring.

I fully understood that my problems had just begun, but I really didn't care at this point. I rev'd it a couple times and it honestly sounded pretty darn good. My uncle explained to me the shift pattern and told me to give it a try. I hopped on and leveled her out. I grabbed onto what was told to me the clutch. and gave her some gas. I put her in first(I was really really excited) as I let the cluth out I went about 2 inches and she stalled out. I did this about 10 more times. I knew I had never rode a bike before, My other uncle was laughing and It just made me even more determined to get this thing going. After about 30 minutes of toying with this thing I still got the same results a great sound when idle and good presentation and assumption of power. I got her going about 10 feet which was a great improvement and after a couple of more tries I got her around the yard once. I did notice that at times when I would pull the throttle I would get no power at all and unless I held the clutch I would eventually Stall out. All Signs point to the carburetor.

I took it apart and without any knowledge of who what and why used some carb cleaner and sprayed all over the place. well as you already can assume that did next to nothing. So while I waited for the rebuild kit in the mail I checked the points gap. (another new thing I still do not understand even after trolling this forum and others) I checked the plugs...seemed within spec. I blew out the air box filters. (Might i just add that they are a serious waste of material who the heck decided to make a filter that has a metal case that comes with a replacement and also costs a pretty penny too. My only assumption had to be they are supposed to last a long time? 35 yrs I Do Not Think So!) Ok so I orded up me some of those too. as well as...A new back tire and tube. This one is old and cracking as well as having a hole in the tube. I only work on the bike on sundays otherwise I am at work all week or with my GF. Anyway its been about 3 sundays in and the Carb kits came in. (Luckily I am dumb but not dumb enough to not realize that I needed 2 kits lol :) apologies to anyone who has done that in the past) Ok so now onto the Rebuild of the carburetor. ( Which as stated above...A Feat I have yet to ever attempt.

It's not brain surgery, but heck I really had no idea what I was doing. Alright so I look at this thing And i see its connected to the 2 air box filters and connected to the top part of the engine with 4 clamps in total. It absolutely Figures that 2 are flat head and 2 are Phillips head screws on these clamps. After removing them I think...Might be gas in this thing how do I get it out. (Well there are drain screws on either side one for each float bowl) Gas has been drained...always a good idea to make sure your petcock is off. (unless you like the smell of gasoline and don't mine wasting it. I would always recommend either running off the excess into a pan or into another gas tank) Removing the gas lines is fun...when you have never seen this little clips before.(you know which ones I mean, The have 2 loops on either side and it would almost appear to you that you have to press these loops together to make the clamp come off. for me not so much. I grabbed the bottom loop and pulled down then grab the top loop and pulled down. That seems to work) There are 4 lines on the carburetor 2 for fuel and 2 for overflow. (one of the fuel lines was a PITA to get off I busted a knuckle pulling it off) Ok so now its time to get the carburetor out...but wait you have 2 throtle cables to contend with.(in my lack of experience I found it easier to pull the carb out as much as I could then removed the two cables but first unscreweing the bolts that are on a harness that attaches to the carburetor. (Do not remove the harness just the cables from the harness) Now the carburetor is free and the holy grail is mine.

So I got this idea see...There are 2 carbs right?...so lets take just 1 apart at a time so I don't have a huge giant mess in front of me and have no idea how to put this back together aye?
First I took off the float bowl.(yay it didn't explode)
Next I see this u shaped thing with 2 other things we call floats.
I notice there is some type of clip holding on this tiny pendulum shaped thing to the float.
Removing the Floats is I removed the pin the floats sit in. Removed the floats. Ok I have all these new parts in the kit. First thing I notice is this rubber gasket. I figured it went on this float bowl and I was right. I Took all the pieces apart and cleaned them with the carburetor cleaner and some q-tips(Making sure not to leave cotton behind) I blew out the pieces with a compressor) there wasn't too much dirt or grime in the carburetor manifold itself, But indeed the pieces were pretty well gunked up. (by pieces I guess those are called jets) I replaced all the parts inside of the float bowl and then I was a little scared there was a spring, another piece with a rubber covering on it, and then this about 2 inch pin.(I sed sh*t where do these go) Oh there is a top part to this guy aye? So I put the bottom back together correctly I hope. Then I unscrewed the top.(Boing this spring pops up...I should have opened it slower I guess but who has time for being careful when your young and anxious as heck to get this baby up and running...no worries i took more precaution from that point on) ok so I see this rubber inner tube with an open hole that the spring must have been sitting in. (later i found out this is called a Diagphram and a piston) I pulled this part up and notices a little piece of it was in a notched hole.( I immediately figured this thing must be held on like a valve cover gasket...Atleast I hope it is becuase i am about to pull it off) Luck was on my side it did come off. Hey there is that Big 2 inch Pin looking thing and inside is a flat head screw I guess this holds in on. I replaced this long pin thing, but hey thats the carburetor where do these last pieces go?

I started to put the the top rubber thing back together and then I realized there was a hole in the rubber diagphram SOB I thought.(I know I shouldn't have done this but I took some silicon and filled in the 2 holes) Ok so back to the other dilema. I started turning this thing in all sorts of directions trying to find where this other piece and this spring could possibly go.(I must have missed this like 10 times but on the side of the carburetor near where it connects to the engine is a would assume some sort of ajustment screw) I was correct it controls the misture. I unscrewed it all the way then gave it a good tug and it game out...and man was it dirty.(the srping was inside there too). I replaced both and then did all the same to the other side of the Carb. So now im looking at what seems to me a rebuilt carburetor. (I completely understand if you must shame me in such a way as to tell me some important detail I may have missed or just to Inform me of my ignorance and trust me I do appreciate the info.

Ok so now I put this thing back on and GD does putting those throttle cables on totally bite. We all know how this ends the carburetor is now back on the bike. The clamps and fuel lines have been reattached. now it is the moment of truth for this old girl. I will be adding picture of this ordeal and of my Orange companion as soon as I get home today.

So as I heard my uncle apparently had adjusted the timing of some sorts while I was away during the week. I started this baby up and wow was she Back-firing...A LOT! every 10 seconds pop pop pop during mid Rev pop especially from peak to idle. (I'm so glad he adjusted the timing for me -_-)

We know its runs but does it RUN?!?!
you bet it does I got on it pop'd her in first got down in the front of the house and this is usually where she would get no throttle and would stall out I pop'd her in second gear and it took OFF!! Hot Damn! I guess that silicon is holding out and that I might have actually rebuilt my first carburetor Correctly. I took it around a few times just to see if I could hit 3rd...Then I hit third alright as well as making my first mistake...

I figured it would be best to get up to third by starting back then hitting the driveway then going left into the front yard. I hit the grass right out of third and Had already realized I had totally just screwed myself. The front tire has bareley any tread left. (And you know what happeneds when you change terrain on a bad tire) Traction was not on my side, As I hit that turn I was in the know that I WAS GOING DOWN!(and I did) The bike cut out immediately lucky me!
I was waering a helmet, not that I hit my head, but was very happy I hit the grass and not the driveway. My first Fall.(I was no longer excited but more worried about this 35 yr old monster being damaged) I picked her up and I could see she was not too happy the frost turn signal was bent in and the Shift pedal was totally Bent beyond use at the moment.(Nothing a vice and a long round iron pole cane fix) I bent it back into place after removing it from the bike...duh! and was back on and testing it again just to make sure I didn't damage the internals at all within 15 minutes. Ok so now its time to give her a rest until I get the filters and gaskets in the mail to do a proper oil change. And thats where I am at now with my question up on the Mechanical Section since I will be taking that right side cover off I might as well fix that darn Kick Starter. Pls post there with any suggestions and to get the full story on it.

Things on my list may they be important or not. This is my list so if its on there its Important to me
-Kick Starter
-Change Oil
-Paint Side Covers
-Get New Seat or get old one Fixed
-New Tires
-E-Ignition (When bore tech finally makes it)
-New Charging system
-New Shifter lever (need one now after my grat fall)
-Check petcock and maybe replace
-Gas tank liner
-Install new Carb(Its on order)
-Install New Airboxes (On order)
-Get permit
-Go to a class(So I don't Kill myself...or others)
-Strip and polish the components (Like it was shown on this forum)
-Fix speedo Cable(still need to figure out how to take that off)
-Correctly time the thing(Easier sed then done when your dumb like me)
I have even printed out those guides on here and still have some trouble
-Convert to disc in the front(If even possible)
-Convert to cl360 Scrambler left side Wicked Pipes (If possible)
-Stop losing control of the bike(when I say Woah I prefer the bike not to say NO)
-Replace the handlebar Bushings(They are loose as hell)
-Relocate the Ignition Key to the top by the handlebars (Less likely to burn my keys and myself up there)
-And Im sure thats just scratching the surface of what I have to do but More shall be added Later

Pictures are coming Fairly soon I hope you guys enjoy Reading this as much as I have enjoyed doing this.

TY in Advance
-Wooley

·
Registered
489 Posts
Well my bike has been a pretty big PIA as of lately but as for the ignition key i actually moved mine down in front of the exhaust pipes under the fork lock. I kinda hated my key fob rubbing my gas tank. Not that it has good paint by any means but i hate seeing crap all over the place. It also made the tank a ton easier to put back on.

I actually have a few youtube video's of maintenence and how to adjust points on the CB360. If you don't understand what some of these things are i have a few videos of my triple parts and some twin parts. I've been messing with this stuff for almost a year now. Considering i've brought 2 back from the dead with one that has 2000 miles on it since december i wouldn't say i'm doing a terrible job. Some of my methods are the greatest but unless you make enough to afford new parts or afford good ones, sometimes you have to bite the bullet like me.

I also have a PDF file of the actual Honda Shop manual if you would like it. I'm not certain what staples would cost to make it a book but i could find out. I'm out to help people with these bikes, not rape them for their money. If i mailed you the CD it would probably cost maybe 4 or 5 bucks shipping. Let me know.

Also do you have any pictures?

And one more thing........

WTF IS WITH ALL THE 360'S LATELY! Anybody else notice every post is a 360 :lol:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did grab the shop manual off the interwebs myself ty for the offer.

As far as buying parts and $$. Which is always the fuel for a fire that never dies Especially with a Hobby like this one.

So far I have Purchased...

New Carb
New battery
Speedo/Tach assembly (For fun with dismantling and maybe some paint practice) Used
New Rear Tire and Tube
New Horn VW beetle Horn -_-
New Turn signal Flasher Relay
new gasket for right and left side engine covers
new oil filter
Bulbs for gauges
The ignition plate for relocation
Fuses (your best friends)
Air Box Filters New
A few new screws I stripped the heads off of (Stupid me)
Oil(Normally wouldn't mention it but Damn is that stuff $$$)

Oh and as far as printing out that Shop Manual it would cost like $25 for it to just be printed and be bound with a spiral loop so I just used my laser printer and printed out all the poages then put them into those Avery Protective Slips so My greasy hands don;t mess up the pages. Worked out well with a Binder.

Some things I would love to get, But since I'm new to bikes so I'm not sure if its bike Specific or not. Would be...
A rear back padded seat and a nice luggage type rack that fits over the Brake light like so...
http://www.brian-payne.com/images/medium_360_1.jpg

and then I want to mount the Ignition here like this one on fleabay....
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f19/t ... =a3607.jpg
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f19/t ... a36010.jpg

I don't have any keys with the Bike aside from the Seat lock key so Banging up the panel isn't much of a problem for me. Also I already bought The plate you see in the picture I just need to be directed as to where to purchase that Bar relocation bracket or whatever it is really called.

Ty in advance
-Wooley -_-

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sakibomb said:

:twisted: They are Coming back and with a vengence!! :twisted:

-Wooley

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
sakibomb said:

It's like I said, the supply of more "desireable" models is rapidly dwindling to a trickle.
At least, for Project Bikes like we can afford.

As they get harder to find (and more expensive), the 360's are starting to look more attractive, especially to first-timers who may not know the parts situation.
No offense to 360 Lovers - but they have quite a bit going against them in terms of things like top end parts, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Excuse is simple...

The bike was there and I don't think my uncle will charge me if I put a lot of parts into it since he seems to be happy with his 05 shadow.
Even though the parts may be expensive I have yet to find any actual parts that I cannot obtain...YET!(Keyword Their)

-Wooley

·
Registered
489 Posts
geez, for sitting on the side of a barn for so many seasons it held up pretty well i'd say. Another thing i would check is if the engine sounds rattly.

There's a cam chain adjuster that will keep the engine from self-destructing. Something you may want to just double check. I doubt anything bad will happen but if its a loud tapping sound you may want to adjust your cam chain and your tappets. Both are fairly simple annoying maint. procedures.

·
Registered
84 Posts
One thing I have wondered. Do you adjust the cam chain with it running or off?

Hee hee...yep, the 360s are taking over!

·
Registered
489 Posts
hogie said:

Hee hee...yep, the 360s are taking over!
I'm not sure if thats a joke honestly lol. I'm thinking it is but i could see how that could be thought of with it on. Its when its off and both cyl's are on compression and the tappets are free. It says somewhere in the manual, i forget the page.

I hate adjusting the tappets. I put them to what feels right on the feelers and then they tick louder. I would just do it so they don't tap at all but then that will screw up the compression throw the timing off a bit. .........i'm so spoiled with having a 2 stroke lol.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
sakibomb said:
hogie said:
I'm not sure if thats a joke honestly lol. I'm thinking it is but i could see how that could be thought of with it on. .
Many old Hondas do the cam chain tensioner adjustment with the engine running, not so unusual at all.

·
Registered
489 Posts
tbpmusic said:
sakibomb said:
hogie said:
I'm not sure if thats a joke honestly lol. I'm thinking it is but i could see how that could be thought of with it on. .
Many old Hondas do the cam chain tensioner adjustment with the engine running, not so unusual at all.
Thats crazy, would be a hell of a lot easier than trying to get both pistons on compression with both tappets off. I'd love to be able to walk up to it and twist the bolt and lock it if the engine was on. That would be awesome.

But then it wouldn't be a true 360 then. Because that would be simple :lol:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes, I seem to recall that one of my old Hondas did it that way. With the engine running.

Yes, nothing seems to be simple on these old 360s. LOL

I can't complain too much tho.....I been luckier than most with mine. (knock on wood) :lol:

·
Registered
265 Posts
The engine should be OFF to adjust the cam chain tension, and the crank needs to be rotated to TDC on #1, I THINK. You're going to make me look that up again, and I can't remember where I read it. Off for sure, I'll verify the location and post back. :?
Also, show us a picture of the oil filter you bought, we're curious. :D Our bikes have a permanent centrifugal oil filter assembly under the right side engine/clutch cover. Usually only needs a thorough cleaning, not replacement. Don't forget to clean the oil pump pickup screen as well.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Be advised that despite what the manual says, I don't think there's ever a point on a 180 degree twin when some tappet or other is not under some pressure. The point they suggest is just the best place.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks Bill, you're mighty quick on the draw(ing)! Yeah, that's it. :) As my kid said "you membered, Dad."

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes, thanx for the info. Too bad I read it right after draining my oil, adjusting points and timing, and putting fresh oil in. If I pull that cover now, I will have oil all over the place! :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tires, I know we all need them, But what brand is what

Front Tire!
From some of my Ideas I have discovered I apparently need a 90/90-18 Tire, yeah that helps...A little, but honestly I have no idea what that means other than size I would assume? So basic Questions are...

What does this 90/90 -18 thing mean?
Can I put a bigger front tire on my CB360? (From most of the info on motorcycles I have read the front tire is kinda important...for stopping and turning and such. Things that will help me out am I correct? Like if i had a slightly bigger tire that would increase my contact patch with the road correct? and If its possible how big would I go?)
What Brand do I get? (I have Really old Yokos on there now.)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated?

P.S. Why do we not have a tire section on the forums? or did I miss it cause rubber is always important aye?

TY in advance
-Wooley

·
Registered
608 Posts
90/90-18 means 90mm (1mm = .039 in.) so 90 x .039= 3.51 in. (width of tire) the 2nd 90 is 90% of the first 90 or 81mm or 3.159 in.(height of tire) the 18 is rim size (18" wheel) you can usually go one size larger on tires without to much trouble say a 100/90-18, (3.90/3.51x18) just about any tire you find will be better than what was on it new, look at jc whitney or just type in the size 100/90x18 and do a search, a mid price tire would do nicely on that old of machine without breaking the bank and still give satisfactory performance ....... almost all tires are now listed in this metric format

1 - 20 of 36 Posts