Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys... I'm starting a new winter project with my younger brother.

We acquired a 1980 Honda CM400T... for free. A guy in our church has 5 bikes and needed some room, this is the one he road the least. It's in great shape, runs great, about the only thing wrong with it is that it needs new tires. Well, new tires, and the fact that it is undeniably ugly.

After some discussion with my brother, who this bike is for, we've decided to go brat with it. We're trying to keep the cost as low as possible, so far that cost is $0.00.

I am a firm believer that ANYTHING can be cool, you just have to identify the parts of the bike and it's design that aren't cool, and remove or change them.

So anyway. This is the official first post and "before" pics of our soon to be 1980 CM400T Bratsyle.

- Woody

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Nice find! :D

Personally I'd love to see that bike restored. Tanks and sidecovers in
that condition are hard to find, not to mention the rest of it appears
to all be there.

If you decide to get rid of any of those really nice parts let me know,
I could use some of them on my own project. :lol:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think it has enough historical value to warrant a resto. What parts do you want... we're going to use the stock tank, but the sidecovers and a bunch of other stuff is getting yanked. The stock seat is in nice shape.

Let me know what you would want.

- Woody

J-T said:
Nice find! :D

Personally I'd love to see that bike restored. Tanks and sidecovers in
that condition are hard to find, not to mention the rest of it appears
to all be there.

If you decide to get rid of any of those really nice parts let me know,
I could use some of them on my own project. :lol:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Really, very few old Hondas are considered "collectible", in the strict sense of the word here in the US.
450 K0/D/Police models, SOHC750 K0, old 305's, various little Hondas from the early to mid-60's, that's about it.

Generally speaking, a concourse-type resto on anything else will not get your money back.......though it may provide immense satisfaction, particularly a model that you're emotional about.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are the latest pics.

We've removed a bunch of stuff and are looking at the stance of the bike. We like the rear end slammed, but it's probably going to have to come up a bit to allow for the suspension travel.

We've decided to lower the front end 2-3"... we'll mock that up for sure once we get the back settled.

Swapped the stock bars for superbike bars. New tires are ordered.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi,

What are you planning for a seat? I recently made a brat style seat for an R5 I re-did and I have been practicing making various styles of covers. I'm no pro but if you're interested I'd have a go at making you a seat cover on the cheap.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure yet. Haven't got that far. We will probably make a pan after we have done the frame mods. Do you have pics of the seat you did? Thanks for the offer... we'll for sure keep it in mind.

Woody

diesel450 said:
Hi,

What are you planning for a seat? I recently made a brat style seat for an R5 I re-did and I have been practicing making various styles of covers. I'm no pro but if you're interested I'd have a go at making you a seat cover on the cheap.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a pic here of the bike with the seat on it. Its just resting on the frame and I still need to grind some stuff off of it to get it to sit right on the frame rails. just a basic ribbed seat. I have since taken the seat apart again and been working it. I've got a curved rear end and am working the stitching so there are no puckers or creases. I'll send pics when I get it back together. I only offer as you said you're trying to keep costs down and I'd be willing to help to give me more practice. having said that I'm getting pretty good looking results. My goal is to be able to produce a few different styles of seats and sell them so I'm just looking for projects that will help me get there.

Not great photos of the seat. its a basic ribbed design with orange top stitching on either side of each seam. These pics were of an unfinished mock up I'll get better ones for you.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a seat pan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts