Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new member, so please forgive me if this topic has been discussed to death already. I have a 1970 CB450 that I have just got running (or had running), but now it won't turnover. The starter spins, no problem. The chain from the starter to the alternator spins, but it won't "catch". It started as an occasional problem, now it flat won't start. I'm trying to set the timing (thank you MNellis for the comprehensive post), but its quite impossible at the moment.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
I'm sure the real gurus will be along here shortly with better info but it sounds like the one-way-clutch isn't "catching". It could be a case of just cleaning it out or may also need some parts, you probably won't be able to tell until you get it apart.

It may be helpful to know if you can turn it normally with the kickstarter.

Here's a link to a post with good information for new folks, it's very helpful in getting the right info to folks.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5716

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
joemugg said:
I'm a new member, so please forgive me if this topic has been discussed to death already. I have a 1970 CB450 that I have just got running (or had running), but now it won't turnover. The starter spins, no problem. The chain from the starter to the alternator spins, but it won't "catch". It started as an occasional problem, now it flat won't start. I'm trying to set the timing (thank you MNellis for the comprehensive post), but its quite impossible at the moment.
You are going to need to pull the armature (flywheel) and inspect the starter clutch that is behind it. Hopefully you've got a parts manual but, if not, you can use an online parts fiche to see what parts are in there. There are 3 sets of rollers that include the rollers, the spring and the spring cap. Additionally, there is a housing cap that might be damaged. If it's not catching at all then I'd guess that one of more of the springs are damaged or broken. You'll have to pull it apart to see though. Take some pictures and post up what you have.

Here is one of many threads on the starter clutch. viewtopic.php?f=51&t=5917

And here is a link to a few pictures of my unit. http://picasaweb.google.com/6453635/StarterClutch#

1 - 3 of 3 Posts