Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. So throughout my multiple problems I have gotten the bike back together, fixed the upper triple mount, the shift gear and a few other things... now I can't get the bike to start.

I've pulled the carbs apart and cleaned them fairly thoroughly, but it seems like I'm not getting gas to the engine. When I shoot some starter fluid into the carbs it'll fire up and run for a few seconds which leads me to believe it's not getting gas.

Is there anywhere else, beside the carbs that I should check? I'm going to pull the carbs again and get another can of carb cleaner tonight... I'll keep you posted.

Also, I picked up another K7 on craigslist, it's not in great shape but if anyone is looking for something let me know and I'll let you know how it looks.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Definitely sounds fuel related. Have you checked the petcock to ensure its actually flowing fuel? Is fuel getting to the float bowls? Correct float height? Also, are you using the choke when starting?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Stop for a minute and back up.
What else was done during your flurry of activity ??

One of the major dangers with massive rehabs is that a whole lot of things get changed at once - then when it doesn't all come together it gets really tough to figure out what's at fault unless you're massively experienced.
If possible, try to change one thing at a time, then test.

Too late for that now, though.

With that said, I'd make sure the timing and valves are ok first (just to make sure) - then move on to the carbs/petcock.
Another can of carb cleaner is ok, but some quality time with an air compressor would be better.
I'm more of a dip-tank/air compressor guy, but that's just me, and it is a lot more work.
Do the float bowls have fuel in them??

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The float bowls have fuel in them when i unhook them. I didn't do much of a flurry of a rebuild. Just one thing here, one thing there but the bike stayed together. I didnt mess with the points or timing. Could it be battery related? Not enough juice to create a spark? I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.

Also, I finally got around to cleaning out my garage this weekend so I'll get a pic up as soon as I can.

Thanks for all of your help.

Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked the kill switch, gas, key.... every time. It's not getting spark which makes me think there may be a wire loose related to the kill switch. It started getting dark but I checked the red/yellow wire which I believe is the run switch. Any ideas on what would cause it to lose spark? The coils look relatively new.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
No, the kill switch wire is black/white (exiting the switch).
The red/yellow is the starter circuit.

See if the black/white wire has 12 volts at the coils - if not, it's likely a kill switch problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i broke out the volt meter tonight and worked it back through the headlight. kill switch is good, got 12v on "run" and 0 and off. i think the issue lies with the coils. let me know if i checked it right, i put the positive in the spark plus boot, grounded the negative on the engine, got around 12 on one and "zero point zero" on the other.

the other thing is when i went to take them off they were really hot... is that normal or does that mean there is something else down the line that is causing the coils to fail?

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Coils normally get warm when working......The difference in meter readings probably only indicates that one set of points was open when the testing was done.....The correct test would read Ohms across the two thinner wires (primary winding) on an unconnected coil and also test for continuity to ground ...It should not be grounded except through the points, so disconnected either wire should show infinate ohms ( no continuity) to ground........

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Meter set to OHMS ...read from either/both wires to the chassis with the coils mounted on the bike, but unplugged from the harness and points.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So the wires that plug into the coil from the harness? I did that and had juice to both. I forget the numbers but I'll check again tonight if my wife lets me back in the garage. It's been a tough week with a teething 6 month old.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
NO!....Not the black/white harness wires.... the unplugged COIL wires.....And you are not checking voltage, you are checking OHMS for continuity..........

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
No problem, we all have a first time for everything.....Handy thing to know how to do..... If there IS a connection, (continuity) the meter will either zero out or show the number of ohms (resistance)..... On this test, we hope it shows "I" for infinate resistance, which means it ISN'T shorted to ground.........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts