Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
took my bike to the store, rode just fine. went inside and came out 30 minutes later or so and the engine was still warm and hot started perfectly fine. went to leave and I let off the clutch too fast and stalled it. I'm sitting here in the parking lot and it wont restart no matter what and my friend is coming to haul it home for me. what Happened and how do I fix it?

·
Registered
554 Posts
What kind of bike? Did you leave the gas on when you went inside? Any mods we should know about? Need more info.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
80 cm400
mac 2-1 exhaust
120 (or 125 I forget) primary, 75 secondary, stock slow
carbs rebuilt recently so no leaks or passive flooding
left the fuel on but it's never been a problem when starting or running even after weeks of sitting

·
Registered
866 Posts
Basics like its in neutral, kill switch in right position, no choke all covered?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
of course. i just cranked it over cold (~2 hours later) and it fired right up in 2 seconds too.

·
Registered
866 Posts
My honda vt500c was hard to start when the engine was hot due to a bad coil.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh yeah i forgot i also did the gm coil mod

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Next time it does this, test for spark.
If you don't have a spare plug or plug wrench, you can undo your plug cap and hold the ignition wire by the plug to see if there's spark.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will, but why would stalling affect ignition?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Other way around. Lack of ignition (spark) may be the cause of your stalling. If you can verify spark when it won't start you have eliminated one of the possibilities.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no, me letting off the clutch too much definitely caused the stall.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
could just be a coincidence but it wouldn't hurt to check for spark regardless.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think what I will do is warm it up around the block and then purposefully stall it in front of the house and see what happens. other than spark, what else could possibly cause a no start like this after an accidental low-speed clutch dump?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if you shake the bike to slosh the fuel and make it vaporize, you can clearly hear it hissing out of the tank, as well as it never depressurizes when opening the cap, so I don't think that's the issue

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
The checking for spark is to diagnose the non start issue, nothing to do with stalling it.
Next time it doesn't start, check if you have spark.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so after work i fired the bike up (started in a one mississippi) and took it to the mailbox like 1000 feet away, drove just fine. came back, shut it off, packed the muffler with the packing that arrived, fired it back up to hear it, then left it for a bit. wife came home and i wanted to show her how quiet it was so i fired it up (in a one mississippi again) and revved it a little bit and shut it off after letting it idle for a few seconds to clear the excess inducted fuel. like 5 minutes later i decided i was going to ride it around then purposefully stall it as i said, but now it wont start again. i put on my spark tester (inline lightbulb style) and it was a very weak spark that barely lit the bulb (healthy spark would light it up about 1/2 as bright as a common led). i tried each plug individually by grounding the other plug cap to the block and there was only a tiny increase in intensity for each side individually but nowhere near as bright as it should be. i removed the plug and applied 12v from a battery directly to the coil (attach one lead and tap the other, basically acting like a manual points system) and it was just as weak as when being driven by the cdi. somehow the coil has gone bad due to vibration or just bad construction (was brand new with less than 100 miles installed because i barely ride the bike) so i will replace it with one from a different manufacturer and hopefully it will fix the issue.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Check the electrical connectors on the points, coils condensor. It may be that they are slightly loose and causing interment issues. Clean and tighten etc.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
You sure it's your coil and not the ignition wire and plug cap connection?
Is it possible to reverse wire the polarity and burn out the coil?
You were in neutral and not in gear when trying to restart?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts