Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Timing is dead on.. point gaps are .015 on the left and .012 right.... the bike screams up till about 5500-6500 then sputters and surges any ideas?

·
Registered
608 Posts
what airfilters and pipes are you running?

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Stick some baffles into the pipes..... The 450 "likes" some restriction..... Bill will probably suggest something too.... What size jets are you running?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are stock jets....and the pipes have a little bit in the way of baffles.. they are the finned inserts

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
OK...But several sizes were "stock"... Yours could be 130's or 150's
I believe you are so "rich" in the jetting you are "over-supplying" fuel at wide open...That's why I asked for the particular size in your carbs...

·
Registered
608 Posts
if your avatar is a pic of your bike those short headers won't turn any rpms anyway, yes it needs back pressure but it needs room in the pipes to scavange the exhaust gasses also

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the pipes now run under the bike to about an inch from the rear tire i think the jets were 148's i could be wrong i'll pull the carbs and get back with the mains and secondaries

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Not so worried about the pilot and secondaries...it seems to run well through their range....I think the mains are too rich when the slide (piston) comes fully open and the needle is at its thinnest, and that is happening too soon as the free flowing exhaust and pods allow it breathe better. opening the carb up more /sooner than necessary...perhaps too well...Can't really see the pods....are they sufficiently oiled-up?
Another thing that can cause similar top end symptoms is imbalanced carb settings/synchronization....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Have you checked your choke linkage? Mine came loose the other day and the right side was sucking shut when I rolled on the throttle. It gave a similar symptom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts