Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on the Cl200 I recently bought that has been sitting for a long time. I purchased a new battery and I have voltage directly after the solenoid, but I pulled apart the ignition connector and I am not getting anything there. Really my question is: should I just get a new wiring harness instead of chasing rabbits? I am sure this bike needs a new rectifier, coil and condenser and maybe new points. Does anyone know of a good place to get a coil for this bike and reasonably priced electronic ignition?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Unless you can find a NOS wiring harness, anything you buy may not be in any better shape than the one you already have. I would suggest you remove the harness from the bike and give it a good inspection. Once it off the bike any problems will be easy to spot. Then think about the wisdom of using original coils, rectifier and regulator. The grounds need to be refreshed too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Now that you mention it, the grounds could be a major factor. Like I said before, this bike has been sitting for a long time

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I saw some reproduction wiring harnesses being sold on Dime City Cycles. Not sure if they have one for a CL200.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Unless you can find a NOS wiring harness, anything you buy may not be in any better shape than the one you already have. I would suggest you remove the harness from the bike and give it a good inspection. Once it off the bike any problems will be easy to spot. Then think about the wisdom of using original coils, rectifier and regulator. The grounds need to be refreshed too.
I would agree. Also the grounding on these old machines is very suspect so refreshing the grounds is a neccesity, not an option. New electrical parts are a necessity also, I spent several days tracing an intermittent starting problem on my 125 and finally replaced the original coil (rectifier was also replaced). After that, no more difficulties, but remember that getting these old machines back into roadworthy shape is a labour of love, so rushing things (usually) is not part of the equation.

Reactions: JamesPal

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
I have been working on the Cl200 I recently bought that has been sitting for a long time. I purchased a new battery and I have voltage directly after the solenoid, but I pulled apart the ignition connector and I am not getting anything there. Really my question is: should I just get a new wiring harness instead of chasing rabbits? I am sure this bike needs a new rectifier, coil and condenser and maybe new points. Does anyone know of a good place to get a coil for this bike and reasonably priced electronic ignition?
I'm in the UK, so my comments may not apply to your situation.

In my limited experience, the actual wiring in the loom lasts quite well. External sheathing gets very brittle and breaks up, but can be replaced with spiral wrap or heat shrink. Connectors do wear and corrode, can be cleaned or replaced.

Over here, new pattern ignition coils are readily available, and cheap. Ditto genuine NGK plug caps and spark plugs.

Similarly, a new pattern combination regulator / rectifier is cheap, and replaces both the original rectifier and regulator. Make a simple new harness to hook up the generator to this and then direct to the battery, solves charging problems. Replace associated block connectors with new. Modern AGM batteries can cope with full generator output, no need for the switching arrangement for increased output when running head lamp.

My simplified charging circuit:

20160511_090213.jpg

Modern regulator / rectifier

rect1.JPG

Replace the glass fuse holder with an inline automotive one that takes modern blade fuses.

Electronic ignition. I'm not aware of anything cheap. Ricks Place ignition works, but is really just an electronic replacement for the mechanical ignition points, not a fancy CDI unit. It retains the original mechanical advance / retard mechanism. Just saves the hassle of periodically adjusted the contact breaker.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Most of today’s bikes have 40 year old wiring which has been exposed to oil, fuel; and atmospheric contamination; and the insulation is likely to be brittle. Most of the harness is wrapped in an insulating tape which protects it from UV degradation as well as the wiring being hidden under the tank and frame etc. The run of the wiring means they are generally protected from damage. The Regulator and Rectifier fitted to these bikes has been known to fry the wiring when they fail.
Old British bikes suffered from this problem regularly and the manufacturer Lucas was known as “The Prince of Darkness” for good reason! Many motorcyclists have been stranded on the roadside consequentially.
Routine maintenance and occasional cleaning of the earths (grounds) resulted in bright lights even though by modern standards they may be considered dim, in their day they were adequate for the road conditions and speeds attained.
British bike riders have the advantage that if some calamity occurs and the smoke gets let out of the wiring; it can easily be replaced with Lucas part #530443- replacement wiring harness smoke. Put that back in and all will be well.
It also works on Hondas.
B52DB200-F700-4E25-A6E1-DECE256DE12F.jpg
Nigel

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I think i will just take the harness off and clean everything. There will be no rushing on this project, it will take a lot of work to get this bike sound. I still think I need a new coil at least. Where would be the best to find one. I have read on here and other places that some might not fit right, might be for electronic ignition, and etc. I just do not want to keep looking and end up with the wrong one several times.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Clean all the bullets and connectors. You’ll be surprised how much of your Loom is good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts