Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I went with the "superbike" handlebar for my 350K3, made some clever masking tape markings based on the original configuration, and drilled the holes - not nearly as much trouble as I expected. Actually, it's not nearly as much trouble as pulling the wires out of the original handlebars, so feeding them into the new ones is going to be no picnic.

My question is, has anyone tried anything to slim down the wire bundle? There are 8 wires on each side, though I think one on each side is not connected to anything. Also, the wire looks like 22 gauge or thicker - I don't know what kind of current is going through these things, but could one safely replace them with a (slightly) smaller gauge wire?

Any other suggestions are more than welcome!

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
ZiggyZipgun said:
Any other suggestions are more than welcome!
I too, went with the Superbike bar for my K3 450. Here is the technique I will use. I'll wrap the bundle ever 3" or so with electrical tape. It's thin and flexible. the end of the bundle completely and securely tape some string or safety wire to the end. Send the safety wire down first and use it to pull the bundle through while pushing from the other end. Maybe two sets of hands would be helpful.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meh, I deburred the edges of the new holes, and in 40 minutes or so managed to feed the original wire all through. A bit of a bitch, for sure, but it's done now. I still think the wire gauge is heavier than it needs to be.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Another trick to get them through is to tie some string to the end of the bundle. Then insert the string in the hole and blow into the hole with some compressed air. It shoots the string right through. This also works on frame tubes when doing internal wiring.

GB :mrgreen:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts