Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my bike to start a couple of times. The bike lights turn on as they should but this does not happen every time. I've been able to get the lights to come on signalling that I can start the bike after squeezing the clutch handle or slightly rotating the handlebars. I know that the previous owner had replaced the speedometer, tach, and there is electrical tape holding the headlights lens on to the shell. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Re: cable issues?

What kinda bike is it? Does it have a saftey switch running from the clutch lever? Have you checked inside the headlamp for good connections and earths? Whatever it is, it pays to thouroughly check all wiring before riding off into the distance only to get stranded.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Sorry about that. :oops: It's a 1970 CB350. Would a loose wire in the headlight assembly prevent the bike from starting? Seems that the wiring is so old and all the cases are cracking. What are my options? Do most people live with the cabling like that or can the bike be rewired?

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts

If I were you I would go over every wire and tape up any cracked shielding, as well as checking that all the bullet and block connectors are secure and clean.

·
Registered
175 Posts

It sounds like the bike is a good candidate for re-wiring. complete harnesses turn up on e-bay now and then, but replacing the existing wiring with 14 ga. has been recommended numerous times. I don't see the point for most of the wiring - 16 ga. is more than adequate for most purposes, 14 ga. for ignition, charging, solenoid/starter button. The bullet connectors your bike is currently connected with get to be a disaster when they're old. You try to take them apart and the wires pull out of the bullet; once they're apart, they seem to have lost their "grip" when you put them back together. They're still available but kind of hard to find - a bike shop may get them for you, or use insulated spade connectors - which are much more common. Harbour Freight supplies a rack of assorted wires in different colours for a reasonable price. finding matching wire colours for a lot of wiring might involve a bit of internet searching. I'm trying unsuccessfully to remember the name of a company that supplies just about any gauge in virtually any colour, but it's not coming back to me. Unfortunately, they probably come in spools adequate to wire every bike at the local dealership. Important factors in wiring: Do it when there's no one around to distract you; don't even answer the telephone; keep notes (like the path a wire follows to get to its destination); label wires with tape tags before you take the existing harness apart; label wires with tape tags when you put the new wires in. Do the simple wires first, tag them, and let them hang. Remove their counterpart from the harness. Same with handlebars if they need new wires - that's sort of a separate entity in itself, and actually soldering the replacement wires to the existing wires to pull them through can make this easier (unfortunately, the old handlebar switches tend to disintegrate when you try to disassemble them - I've never figured out a solution to this. You can, at least, get push-button microswitches to replace the starter button, which is a prime offender). Then the ignition switch/charging circuit. With all the accessory wires out of the way, they're easier to figure out. Also clean up all the ground connections. After it's all back together and working, get some ignition system sealer from your auto shop and spray all the connections.
As far as the headlight goes, watch e-bay for a headlight. Probably easier than trying to get individual parts for the one you have.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for the great suggestion. I didn't even think about harborfreight. Sounds like a monumental task, but I'll give it a shot.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts

If putting pressure/pulling on the clutch, or rotating the handlebars "fixes" it,....Sounds like you have a bad ground..... Try a ground jumper from battery negative to the bars...I'll bet everything works then.......(had bikes come into my shop with this problem....LOL)...There is a factory grounding wire from the handlebar risers to the top tree that corrodes easily, causing this problem....You may just need to replace that... (for starters)...........

PS...I changed "cable issues" to "wiring issues" so as not to confuse this topic with control cable problems...... :D

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I came across this site and bookmarked it awhile back. http://www.vintageconnections.com/

OEM-style Japanese bike and car electrical connectors. I've never ordered from them but just thought I would throw it out there!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts