Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new wiring harness and installed it and sometimes some things work and then they don't work at all.
I can get the headlight and tail light to work sometimes, the stater will click (and then not again for a few days)
The horn flat refuses to work. It worked when I hooked it up to a green wire and a black wire and then turned the key on, of course it was blowing as soon as the key was turned on. Now it won't even do that.

Is there a guide of some sort for a guy that doesn't know too much about wiring, like a Start with all your green/ground wires, and then check these items, then check bla bla.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Todd

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
1st it would be REALLY HELPFUL if you told us what Model/year bike you are working on.
without that we are just providing guesses as to what might help on a generic absis.

On the 350/450 series both the Starter and the Horn buttons are a GROUND Connections that complete the circuit.
They ground via the Handle Bars.
There should be a GROUND connection wire the runs from the stud on bottom of one of the handle bar risers to one of the bolts that attach the gauges to the triple tree.
Without that the handle bars are insulated from the rest of the bike by the rubber shock mounts in the handle bar risers.

Be careful as to what position you are in on the key switch.
The older bikes again my frame of reference is the 350/450's have an OFF - ON - PARK position.
In the Park position the taillight will come on but that is it.
It was designed for safety reasons if you were broken down on the side of the road at night.

So with that said come back with what model you are working on and we can go further.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Get yourself a cheap 12 volt tester at the local auto parts store, it's the easiest way to figure things out. Probe the wire connections in the headlight, the black wires should have juice with the key switch on. The brown/white wire should be hot with the headlight switch on. Green wires are grounds, light green is the horn wire(grounded to operate the horn).

·
Registered
971 Posts
In addition to the advice listed above, don't plug wire into one another if the colors are different. By plugging a green wire and a black wire together, you created a short circuit and it will blow fuses every time you turn the key on.

·
Registered
625 Posts
In addition to the advice given above, be sure to check the grounds in your headlight bucket and everywhere on your bike, it sounds like you have a ground that is cutting in and out. Also make sure your battery is acceptable.
You are really just matching colors, connect the same color wires together, really not too complicated if you have a schematic.
With wiring it really helps to be thorough and detail oriented, start in your bucket and trace the wires to the back of the bike checking for loose connections, worn insulation and GROUNDS. Take the time to do it right so wont have to do it again.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sounds like a ground issue. Clean the main body ground un till you see clean metal. You can use a small amount of white grease or dielectric grease on this connection to keep the rust away. Clean all the starter connections and lube them too. Headlight bucket grounds can be a real pain, can't be any paint or rust on them at all. Check all your connections. A meter is a great help, get a decent one.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Another thing to check is the ignition switch itself, the contacts inside can get dirty and corroded over time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Tom Hanks to everyone!!!!

I found the main problem. The fuse that came with the wiring harness was bad. There was a spare in that holder as well and when I replaced the original fuse with the spare, everything works (headlight, taillight, brake light, and high beam indicator, and clock lights)! I put the meter on it (the bad fuse) and it would give me anywhere from nothing to 4volts and then sometimes 8volts. Now I get a good solid 12volts with the spare fuse.
(I have vortex clip-on's on the bike) and I did put ground wires from the hand controls screws to the clip-on's mounting on the forks and a ground wire run from one of the top triple tree fork tube bolts to the frame. Just to make sure all the front end is grounded.

Next step, blinkers.

Tom Hanks again to everyone!!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
But most Brits refer to ground as "earth"... as for the Wiki, man, that's an odd collection of stuff right there (I have other comparative thoughts that I'll keep to myself)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts