Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone
i am in the process of replacing the wiring harness on my 70 CB 350 with an original wire harness from an identical model. started at the back end of the bike and worked my way forward with great results until i got to the area of the horn/ignition coil/condenser/winker relay (signal stat 142 type).
this is what i have coming off the harness at that point:
double black
double brown and white
single grey
single green
single light green

the horn has a single light green and a single black that plug into corresponding harness colors.
the winker relay has a single black and single grey that plug into corresponding harness colors
the ignition coil on the right side of the frame has a single brown and white that plugs into corresponding harness colors as does the one on the left side of the frame.

here are the questions:
1) what plugs into the single green harness plug?

2) i have the shop manual and looking at the USA type wiring diagram and the wiring harness diagram, it does not have brown and white anywhere near the ignition coils but only black?
is it possible that the manual is wrong as i have noticed some misspelled words on the diagrams?
please help as this is the first time i have replaced a harness. learned so much so far and just want to make sure i do this right so that when i do try to fire the bike up it does indeed fire!
thanks so much! i truly appreciate it!
eric

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
1. The single green is an unused ground connection... Nothing plugs in there (unless you want to run another ground for something)
2. The wires TO the coils and ON the coils SHOULD be black, or black with white stripe...Is it possible they are just faded?.... Quick test.....Key on, "kill" set to run....you should have 12V on that wire...flick "kill" off, it should go dead... If it does that, you are OK.... If not, somehow you have the lighting power wire(brown/white) and the ignition power wires (black/white) exchanged.....(probably inside the headlight shell...Hard to see colors in there sometimes)..... :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks 66!
the wires coming off the ignition coils are definitely black and white. i was only calling them brown and white because no where on the wiring harness or wiring diagram is there anything about black and white, only brown and white. i knew they were black and white and wondered what the deal was. haven't gotten up to the headlight bucket yet. so i think i am good to go. good to know about the extra green. what would be an example of something you could add in to utilize this? just curious?
you are always a great help! thanks for your help with the gas tank too!
eric
ps-i think my shop manual is for a 69 model. maybe there were changes at 1970. although everything else has been dead on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.