Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions. 1)I’m building my harness from scratch (first time builder here so go easy). The picture below shoes what appears to be a 6 way switch. I don’t have anything like that on my build. The headlight is rigged to a simple 3 way toggle. I see that black- power, blue - high beam, white low beam, brown/white -tach/speedo but the yellow and yellow/white.....those run to the reg rec it appears? I don’t know how to substitute this connection. It looks like the 5 way plug out of the left hand side goes to the alternator. What did I miss?? Is this something that will trash the bike if I don’t make that connector or get the wires running from the alternator to the headlight? Something is missing.

2) the diagram (pictured below ) shows a black wire running from the solenoid to the starter moter.......the only wire I have from the starter is the big heavy wire to the solenoid. Again, am I missing something?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
1- I think inside your switch pod has prongs for multiple connections, not just 1:1

2- edit: I didn't read your post and Steve answered it below

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
The white and white/yellow wires are switched together to increase the alternator output. They are a/c current and should not make contact with the other wires. Just connect them together.

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
2) the diagram (pictured below ) shows a black wire running from the solenoid to the starter moter.......the only wire I have from the starter is the big heavy wire to the solenoid. Again, am I missing something?
This is an ERROR in the Clymer's diagram..... That lighter gauge connection DOES NOT exist on the FACTORY schematic....ONLY the heavy cable goes from solenoid to starter motor.......

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
What you are referring to as a six way switch controls the headlight (Hi-lo-off), kill switch, starter button and alternator day-night switch.

I can't see much of the wire diagram, but the Honda wire color convention is:
Green - Ground
Black - power when the ignition is on
Red - power on all time.

The black wire on the starter button is the power (ignition switch on). When you push the button, the circuit is closed allowing power to flow to the solenoid. The solenoid closes the high current circuit between the battery (positive) to the starter motor. Solenoid is another name for a relay. A relay allows a lower current circuit to control a higher current circuit. If you didn't have the solenoid, the large starter wire would need to be run to the starter switch.

Here is a short video explaining how a relay works:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So that whole switch (blue,black, brown/white, white, yellow/white and white) they look like they run into the same connector as the headlight {blue box}. My headlight switch has blue for high, black for power and white for low. I know about the yellow and white wires being joined together out of the reg rec but why is this blue box showing (on off) and it looks like it should connect to the headlight?

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What you are referring to as a six way switch controls the headlight (Hi-lo-off), kill switch, starter button and alternator day-night switch.

I can't see much of the wire diagram, but the Honda wire color convention is:
Green - Ground
Black - power when the ignition is on
Red - power on all time.

The black wire on the starter button is the power (ignition switch on). When you push the button, the circuit is closed allowing power to flow to the solenoid. The solenoid closes the high current circuit between the battery (positive) to the starter motor. Solenoid is another name for a relay. A relay allows a lower current circuit to control a higher current circuit. If you didn't have the solenoid, the large starter wire would need to be run to the starter switch.

Here is a short video explaining how a relay works:

On my bike I’m not using a kill switch or the “day night switch” for the alternator. The box I have below looks like it all connects to the headlight if you follow it out. Not having the “day night switch” or the kill switch, will that mess anything up? My switches are Hi•off•lo and then the start button which runs to the solenoid and a ground wire. It’s just odd to me to see a wire running from the reg rec into the headlights. Maybe I just don’t understand this enough, but I thought I had some understanding.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is an ERROR in the Clymer's diagram..... That lighter gauge connection DOES NOT exist on the FACTORY schematic....ONLY the heavy cable goes from solenoid to starter motor.......

Thank you!! I was thinking I was crazy haha.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
why is this blue box showing (on off) and it looks like it should connect to the headlight?
Are you talking about the engine run/kill switch?

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
So that whole switch (blue,black, brown/white, white, yellow/white and white) they look like they run into the same connector as the headlight {blue box}. My headlight switch has blue for high, black for power and white for low. I know about the yellow and white wires being joined together out of the reg rec but why is this blue box showing (on off) and it looks like it should connect to the headlight?
The "blue box" is simply a pictorial showing what wire color connections are made at each of the different switch positions.....
The original headlight switch had an OFF, a LOW BEAM, and a HIGH BEAM position, and notice that the "N" position as you slide between low and high allows the headlight to stay on the entire time of transition.....
Also note that it powers the taillight (Brown/White stripe wire) with the headlight, AND adds in the "extra" alternator windings to compensate for the added power draw of the headlight and taillight when they are on (Yellow, and White/yellow tag wires)......

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The "blue box" is simply a pictorial showing what wire color connections are made at each of the different switch positions.....
The original headlight switch had an OFF, a LOW BEAM, and a HIGH BEAM position, and notice that the "N" position as you slide between low and high allows the headlight to stay on the entire time of transition.....
Also note that it powers the taillight (Brown/White stripe wire) with the headlight, AND adds in the "extra" alternator windings to compensate for the added power draw of the headlight and taillight when they are on (Yellow, and White/yellow tag wires)......
Ok, so then I won’t need to have a yellow yellow/white wire running to anything besides out of the alternator and into the reg rec?

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
Ok, so then I won’t need to have a yellow yellow/white wire running to anything besides out of the alternator and into the reg rec?
Correct...You will then have the maximum re-charging occurring at all times when the engine is running...
Honda actually made that connection an all the time situation on the 500T (and others) in 1975, but that was also the start of headlights/taillights on all the time as well.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts