Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi (again) Fellas,

my apologies for the third post, I didn't want to put all of my engine issues in one thread. As you may be aware (from all the started engine threads tonight), I recently pulled my engine because I was obviously having issues. So, took the clutch basket out and this was what was sticking out in the exact location you see it:

IMG_1538.jpg

From the clutch schematic for a '72 CL350 there are no wires hanging about all willy nilly. Any ideas what this is (besides being a wire) and how it got there?

Further, inside the clutch outer basket axle opening you'll see groove marks worn into the steel. I am guessing this is not right!? Could the steel wire have caused this?

IMG_1605.jpg

Finally, I measured and checked the specs on all the friction plates - they all are good, except this one:

IMG_1615.jpg

A little bit worn and bits pulled off. Time for a new one? On the other side however:

IMG_1616.jpg

What's with the "F"s?

A little help please.

Cheers
*not sure how I added a thumbnail (bonus pic)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
It has been some time since I had one of those engines apart, but if memory serves me right those groves are supposed to be ther for oiling. And you are correct in assuming that that wire does not belong there. After reading your threads I would bet that the PO also put sawdust in the transmission before selling it.
TOOLS

·
Registered
315 Posts
Is that the other side of the same plate? Then you are missing all friction material. When the material starts chipping off, just replace all the friction plates.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The grooves are standard but in your case they do look a bit odd. Looks like there are some extra grooves in there.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Much appreciated Erwin and Tools. Yeah, for sure they are going to be replaced. I don't ever recall seeing the "F" mark on one side. Thought it could either be the first or last plate in the basket?

Tools - the oil pump & filter were jammed packed with crap. Specks of metal, pieces of gasket maker, etc. This was not well taken care of. Check out the dripping down of a gasket maker/sealer on the inside of the crank cases:

IMG_1572.jpg

Looks like they used a foam roller or paint brush to apply it!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
That's probably actually the factory sealer, though it is a bit more excessive than I've seen usually... but it isn't like RTV in that it runs down, dries and sticks to the surface forever. My 45 year old 450 bottom end still has the same stuff in it, you have to physically peel it off for it to move, even after being hot-tanked for 2 hours

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The photo was before I soaked the cases in some old gas I had laying around for a couple of days. Afterward I stuck them in Simple Green and used some elbow grease to get it off. The air compressor also helped - no scraping needed. There were many chunks of this sealer in the bottom of the case when I pulled them apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts