Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this extra wire coming out of the wiring harness that is continuous with the green wire in the regulator/rectifier plug. Where is it supposed to be connected? I can't find any mention of it online.

IMG_20190608_154443.jpg

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Dark green should be ground, so negative terminal; it should also provide the ground to various places in the lighting system. You can check this with an Ohmmeter, from that terminal to the shell of the various light sockets.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense and that's how I've had it so far. But I've been having charging issues so I looked up how to diagnose the problem. The first thing the Clymer manual says to do is connect an ampmeter from the positive battery terminal to this green regulator/rectifier wire, not the negative. This is what confused me. It also reads 0 amps when I do this and run the bike. So I don't know which is correct.

IMG_20190609_103600.jpg

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Unless you have changed it, there is no regulator/rectifier; there is a regulator with 3 wires - black, yellow, green, and a rectifier with 4 wires - red/white, pink, yellow, and green. The green wires have the same function for both, and that is harness ground and negative battery terminal. The yellow wires are also common, and go to the stator output. The regulator's black wire is switched battery power, from the key switch, as a Voltage reference; when the Voltage rises high enough, the regulator connects the yellow wire to ground, thus reducing the charge rate. The rectifier's pink wire goes to the other side of the stator, and its red/white wire goes directly to the battery (+) terminal. If you want to measure the average current from the charging the Ammeter should go between the red/white wire and the battery (+) terminal, and read while the engine is running.

Placing an Ammeter between the battery (+) terminal and the regulator makes no sense. I use my Clymer's manual as a door stop, or to put under the side stand to level the bike better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I say regulator/rectifier because I have replaced the orginals with the modern combo unit. I should have mentioned the clymer book specifically says rectifier wire. And I figured the wire in my photo was the one to put the ammeter on because I tested continuity with the green wire my rectifier harness plug.

I do have that service manual and use it often. The problem is that I can't find any sort of charging troubleshooting steps in it. If anyone knows what page that's on I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I which case, the terminal on the green wire you showed is, in fact, the chassis ground, and connects to all the light sockets, as well as the ground for the R/R, and goes on the negative terminal of the battery, just like mine.
As to the charging problem, do you have a good Voltmeter? If so, measure between the battery terminals, both at idle and with the rpm above about 3000. The first reading may be less than 12.7V, especially if the headlamp is on, but the second should be around 14.5V, but no higher than 14.8V. This assumes the battery is good, of course. If both measurements are low, shut it off and unplug the R/R; measure the harness contacts that mate the yellow and pink wires of the R/R to each other and to ground. The first should be very low Ohms (maybe too low for many meters to resolve properly), and the second should read open, or very near open.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts