Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but...
I've drained the bowls of my carbs and am planning to simply let them sit for the winter. My bike ran perfect prior to disassembly so I don't want to touch a single thing inside (unless I get new pipes which may require adjustment). Is there any risk of fuel remenants gumming up, or seals drying and cracking over winter? (which is really dry here). Should they be cleaned internally? Should I be keeping them in the shower ??

Attachments

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Galt, add your location to your profile. It is under the settings link.

Wow, you are taking storage very seriously. If you are using fuel that is US spec, there are additives that will dry and leave a surface residue. If they are dry the only problem this might cause is the throttle (and choke) shafts. It can gum them up and cause them to stick. You can oil them by duct taping one end of the carb to a shop vac, turn the vac on, put your hand over the other end and spraying an aerosol light oil on the shafts. The vacuum will draw the oil into the bushing and lubricate the felt seals. Of course normal people would this that behavior is totally OCD, but they have never experienced to joys of Honda twin.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Galt, add your location to your profile. It is under the settings link.

Wow, you are taking storage very seriously. If you are using fuel that is US spec, there are additives that will dry and leave a surface residue. If they are dry the only problem this might cause is the throttle (and choke) shafts. It can gum them up and cause them to stick. You can oil them by duct taping one end of the carb to a shop vac, turn the vac on, put your hand over the other end and spraying an aerosol light oil on the shafts. The vacuum will draw the oil into the bushing and lubricate the felt seals. Of course normal people would this that behavior is totally OCD, but they have never experienced to joys of Honda twin.
Thanks James,
I couldn't see the location option (maybe because I'm on mobile). I'm in the Toronto area and it gets reaaaaally dry during our winters, which is why I'm taking is so seriously. I've also disassembled the entire bike so I have the option to keep everything warm. Otherwise I might be testing the leave-it-in-the-shed-and-hope-it-starts-in-spring method :p
Thanks for the instructions. I had normal gas in the tank, and completely forgot to run the bike until the carbs were flushed out. If I have time, I'll give the OCD vacuum method a whirl.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Since the carbs are off the bike just wrap them in a towel and set them aside. Nothing special to do here. Yes, the bowl gasket may dry out some. If it does it was already going bad and just hadn't informed you yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since the carbs are off the bike just wrap them in a towel and set them aside. Nothing special to do here. Yes, the bowl gasket may dry out some. If it does it was already going bad and just hadn't informed you yet.
Now that's a process I think I can handle :). Cheers Jim!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts