Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my hands on this 1972 CB450, purchased in Minneapolis. Youmight think old bikes would be easer to find in CA,but I think the good examples come from barns in the midwest. My brother in law who lives out there was nice enough to arrange for the shipping to get it here.

It is overall in nice shape, and it runs very nicely with the petcock in the off position. I bought a Clymer manual, but it is dissapointingly thin. I have seen some strings about manuals on the site, but I have not found a link to a factory shop manual. Anyone know where I should look?

I have been planning to replace the swingarm bushings and steering bearings, but I am not sure if one of the POs has already done this work. Anyone know of an easy way to tell if these parts have been upgraded without disassembly?

How about the air filter? I think I need to replace the factory filters and I like the idea of the K&N filters. Charlies Place in SF sells what looks like K&N at http://www.charlies-place.com/store_airfilter.html They are considered the local old Honda experts, but not cheap. Has anyone figured out which K&N fits the best? What is the spec on the part?

I bought a pair of NOS Redwing shocks from Omars Dirt Track Racing for $99. Robert Ward (Omar's alter ego) is a really knowledgable guy and he sells plenty of honda parts that are not listed on the website.
http://omarsdtr.com/ He also sells plenty of CR450 parts and bodywork, and is selling Hagon, Progressive suspension and some others. Better yet he is in my girlfriends neighborhood, so I save on shipping.
Has anyone put on some aftermarket fork springs? What did you use?

I will try to figure out how to post photos and will include some.

Cheers!

Steve

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Hi Steve,
Welcome aboard. I have a CB450K5 too. Mine is a project that is waiting for start. I have a '81 GL1100 in work right now. Sounds like you have a great old bike. If it runs good I wouldn't mess with the air filters. I have read the K&Ns work well, but the side covers on a 450 mount to the frame but they are secured to the filter bodies. You loose this mount when you install the K&N. Also, the carbs will need to be re-jeted for it to run right. The 450 filters have lot of surface area and last a long time. There are guys who replace the paper in the filter bodies. I picked up a very clean set off eBay.

·
Registered
140 Posts
What?!?! You Cali kids stealing my bikes?? JK. ;)

If you look around here, you'll see that people lean towards the UNI foam / oil bath filters. The claims are that with the UNI's your jetting isn't affected while the K&N pods do. With the UNI kit they provide standoffs to take the place of the original air box so the side covers fit back on.

I can't comment on the swingarm bushings...I have yet to dive in there.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome Steve. Here's some info to help you get started with the group.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3797

Not surprised you found a bike "up north". When folks can only ride half the year they seldom get worn out from use but good barn finds are getting scarce.

I don't know any way to check the bearings or bushings without disassembly but if they are good and tight and they operate smoothly I wouldn't worry about them until you have occasion to tear it down for other reasons.

And you will :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts