Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
NO... It might mount, but won't fit correctly, it's too wide...(your rim is too narrow)......Correctly mounted it's ~6 3/4" wide... it would hit/interfere with the chain and swingarm............

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dang, good thing I asked!

66, do you mind telling me what sizes of tires I should be shopping for? I don't know what the min/max width is for these rims are.

Thank you sir,

-Matt

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Tire sizing is subjective, most people believe a wider tire will work better, but I find something closer to the original sizing works best (Maybe one size bigger/wider).
On a 450... I'd recommend a 90/90 front (approx a 3.50 size) and a 100/90 x 18 rear (approx 4.00")... Both these are one size up from the originals.....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then that is what I'll go with. Thank you much sir.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more question; what's the difference between front/rear tires of the same or nearly the same size? I'm having a difficult time finding 18'' rear tires with matching 19'' front tires...very frustrating. IE can a front tire with the dimensions you suggested go on the rear?

Gahl darnit!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Front tires stay on the front. Rear tires stay on the rear.. Something about the way that they're constructed.. UNLESS the manufacturer states that they are a universal tire.

Finding tires for the 450 should be easy. UNLESS you're on a super tight budget??

Front - Avon Roadrider AM26 (front)
Rear - Avon Roadrider AM26 (universal)

Check here: http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/roadrider

Maxxis makes some slightly more affordable tires in the correct sizes for your bike. I've bought a set of them. Look up Maxxis Promaxx and you'll find them. I like the tread design too..

GB :mrgreen:

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Tread pattern differences are not necessarily a bad thing... The front tire has to steer and be the primary stopping tire, while the rear just has to primarily provide motive force (traction) with some (lesser amount of) cornering/stopping ability.....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks fellas.

The money isn't really an issue. I was trying to find some matching sets on ebay but if that doesn't work then it doesn't work...oh well.

Appreciate the links/suggested brands...I like that Maxxis tire. Have you heard any thing about it? Do you have any other suggestions for brands/types?

-Matt

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
There is a multitude of tires available for your bike in the sizes you need. I always just used Google to find what I needed. That's how I came across the Maxxis tires. Also check Ebay once you find them on a tire website. Sometimes they're cheaper. They're very nice tires. As for grip, I can't attest to that just yet.. I don't see where they'd be too slippery. You're gonna get what you pay for with tires.. Also, if you want a more vintage look then there are tires available in a classic type of tread pattern. You may lose some of the grip that more modern tires like the Avons would provide..

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Generally, even the remakes of the "classic pattern" (vintage tread design) tires are now made with better compounds, and should be an improvement (albeit slight) over the originals.....Modern tires may handle better, but just don't "LOOK" correct (to me).

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
66Sprint said:
Generally, even the remakes of the "classic pattern" (vintage tread design) tires are now made with better compounds, and should be an improvement (albeit slight) over the originals.....Modern tires may handle better, but just don't "LOOK" correct (to me).
I agree. I've got the Avon Roadriders on my CL350 and the handle nice and ride smooth but just don't look the part. Given how I ride my classics (slow), I'll probably replace these with period correct parts when it's time.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I'm not restoring really...I'm rebuilding...not sure if I want a cafe style bike or not...kind of evolving as I go. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Still guys, you put a classic repop "ribbed" tire up against a new design of Avon or similar, and tell me which handles better, tracks rain grooves, etc.. Even with the newer compounds being used..

It's all in the look you're going for though.. Everyone has their own preferences.. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts