Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a cable operated rear brake assembly for a CB175 hub/drum. The CB160 rear brake looks like it might work. Does anyone have experience or know if the brake shoes are the same size, and if the brake assembly will work on a CB175?

Thanks

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
It will work IF you run the 160 wheel.......Haven't tried the partial swap you've suggested......

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
You DO realize that you will have to modify or use a different brake pedal, and fasten (weld?) a "holder" for the cable outer jacket somewhere on your frame.....RIGHT?

IIRC, the 160 rear drum is larger than the 175 drum and is about the same size as a 350 front drum diameter-wise...
Think I've got one in the backyard if you want to lace it into your wheel.....Might even have the old cable with it......

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.
Steve, thanks for info and offer. Sounds like I can use a stock size CB175 rim, custom spokes (or maybe CB160 spokes) and use a CB160 brake assembly. If I go this route; I’ll look you up.
I’d like to have rear sets, which would need some fabrication. The hitch with this setup is having a kick starter (wont be using the starter). The other alternative is to relocate the stock pegs back about 3”, shorten the brake pedal and use the stock CB175 brakes or maybe the CB160. Relocating the foot pegs would also include some sort of modifications to the shift lever.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
The traditional way to use a kick starter with rear-sets is make the right footpeg able to fold up, for room to swing the kickstarter. The shift lever can be reversed on the shaft, of course it will reverse the shift pattern to "one up and four down". The professional road racers call that the "GP pattern" most of them seem like it better than the other way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts