Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 130/90/16 on it now. I can get the other tire really cheap on sale if it will fit. Need to save all the money I can, but I need it to fit of course and work OK?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just my .02 cents, but if a tire is designed for the rear only, it is not advisable to run on front, tread pattern is different, I think.

They usually have an arrow, showing the rotation. Someone more knowledgeable than I, should ring in.

Some tires are made to run front/rear, normally it will be stated on the side wall.

Just saying.......

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it will fit and work. It is undersized.
The 130/90/16 is the correct size for your model
OK, then I suppose a 110/80/16 would also fit and also be undersized? Which would be closer to original oof the two sizes? I'm guessing the 110 is 20mm narrower but 70 is 20 mm less sidewall whereas 80 is half that? I'm guessing the 120/70 would be better just cuz of width and handle closer just amyeb rev a tad more?

Anyway yes, I am using a rear rated tire on the rear. I already have an origginal size new tire on the front as of a couple months back.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Get the proper size. I would also be a little concerned about the tire being on sale really cheap, check the date code before you buy it so that you don't end up with a tire that is 4-5 years old.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get the proper size. I would also be a little concerned about the tire being on sale really cheap, check the date code before you buy it so that you don't end up with a tire that is 4-5 years old.
I'd love to, but I can't right now afford a $90 to $140 tire. I've had very good luck with this brand and seller. It's a Shinko from Bike Bandit. I'm having a very hard time finding an exact fit in anything but expensive tires. I also am not using this for long trips, just around town and it's part of a broader bunch of getting my cars running so I can sell one to pay to have the other fixed and insured. I need a tired that works, gets me around town, at most an occasional 60 mile round trip, maybe once every three months, and that's only IF I din't get the car running. IT's also likely a temporary fix to have things running and roadworthy before I spend more time getting things in more optimal shape. Sometimes making the money stretch and go a bit father takes priority over having things perfect. I can also better afford the new chain and for seals I need.

IDK with motorcycles, I used to think with cars fatter tires meant better handling, but a few years ago I owned a 1990 Mitsubishi Mirage. IT had the skinniest car ties I have ever seen. They were standard fit for the car, tiny 13"s that looked to me not that much bigger than your standard doughnut spare. That car though had AMAZING handling. In any case, these days I ride slow and cautious anyway. I don't push things at all like I used to in my youth. The only guilty pleasure I ever indulge in is quick acceleration. I'm not even talking spun tires or wheelies, just get up to the speed limit quickly, no more.

So if a non perfect fit tire for a season's riding helps me get more parts for the bike nad more progress for my cars, for now i'ts prolly the way I need to consider going. I'll keep looking, not making any immediate for sure buy, but in next day or two I will.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I feel ya brother on the budget stretching...........just be careful when it comes to tires.

Post up some pix

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel ya brother on the budget stretching...........just be careful when it comes to tires.

Post up some pix
Well a new not quite right fit has to beat a totally bald proper fit with a slow leak, right? I'm good on a bad tire (been riding rat bikes for time out of mind), but it's an upgrade from what I am running on period, that much is a sure thing.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Post up some pix
This tire is about 5 years now, bald but still withiin the age range probably, I mean it feels fine considering. Thing is I'm lucky the weather is what it is here. The roads are bad but the rain is almost always very light, yuou never see very wet pavement. I have been on bicclles (and VERY good) since I was six, so I do have a real feel for it. My back tire almost never slips even bald. Still it's only having been so broke that's been the issue, so at this point a tire with tread at all is a real improvement.

·
Banned
854 Posts
I'm all for cheaping out on some things but safety on a motorcycle isn't one of them. Bike bandit is pretty reputable so I would imagine the tire they sell you won't be ancient. I don't know how cheap this wrong size tire is but here is the correct size in a shinko tourmaster for $75.https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shinko-230-tour-master-tires

They also have a Shinko 712 for about $5 less.

Reactions: Olivier

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm all for cheaping out on some things but safety on a motorcycle isn't one of them. Bike bandit is pretty reputable so I would imagine the tire they sell you won't be ancient. I don't know how cheap this wrong size tire is but here is the correct size in a shinko tourmaster for $75.https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shinko-230-tour-master-tires

They also have a Shinko 712 for about $5 less.
Well I looked again and it seems that is a front tire in near rear size? I think I did find one in that size in a rear tire, but couldn't when I wnet back. Anyway I will prolly get the 712's as it has one on front. Sucks tho, $70 so it has to wait till next week to order. Still a matched set is best. I will have to just deal with only the tire for now too. Won't be able to afford any other parts. Still I supposed it will pay in the long run. My Shinko tires have always both performed and lasted pretty well in the past. Compared to other brands it's not that pricey.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Smart move, I have Shinko tourmasters on my CX. Great tires and a pretty good price.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Put on a second Shinko 712 for a matched set. You guys would have NEVER let me hear the end of it had you seen what I was riding on! Was damn near worn throaugh, had begun to crack and some of the outer nylon bands had begun to tear.

Rides nice on the 712s. Seem like very good tires. After many miles thee new tire dingleberries aren't even worn off the front. They not onll;y hold the road well but seem durable and look like they'll last well.

Not only that but it mouunted easy and beaded up without problems.

Now it's on to fork seals and a chain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts