Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Boyer Bransden have an electronic ignition kit to suit CB / CL 350 & 250.

Has anyone installed this system to a CB450K5?

I wrote to BB, but their response was non-committal; see below:

Unfortunately the kit 293 has not been tested on the Honda CB450 and I cant advise you of another kit that could go on that model.
I have attached the instructions for the kit 293 so you can see if you feel it would be possible.
Sorry I can’t help further

Sales

Thanks in advance,

Richard

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Different firing systems from what I have read.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I have installed several Boyer ignitions on old triumphs.. good systems HOWEVER, it also depends on the "version".. the higher the number (Roman numeral) the "newer the system. There is a version sitting on my shelf (don't know #).. but it was VERY finikey about voltage. Like old Hondas, the charging systems on triumphs were crappy at best.. this one version would start cutting out when voltage dropped below 10volts.. very easy with a upgraded headlamp.
I replaced it with another manufacture... yes I had "issues", but it was due to "fit and finish"... not electrical (a long thread of ur interested).. I'm not sure what "version" Boyer is up to now... but I do know they get better each time. I do know the timing advance on the biker may differ along with rotation . If you looking at saving a few bucks or trying to eliminate a issue your heading in the wrong direction.
When I chose to go with a ignition for my 450, I looked at what was available, weighed the goods and the bads of each and decided on one I liked. It isn't perfect, but I have given it every possible way to work proper and survive.
There is s slew of options for your bike (Charlie's place, Pamco, dyna.. and I think 2 more) they have good track records. And priced SOMEWHAT in the same ball park. I would suggest do a search, some reading, and order from a vender.. NOT directly from factory.. and ASK about warrenty and procedures if it fails during that time..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts