Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have replaced contact breaker points on my k4. when i set timing statically, and dynamically, i can get the timing right, but the right side points gap ends up out of spec (about .002). i bought new points to fix this issue, but this has not worked. if i do the timing starting with the right, adjusting the plate so that the right side fires at the tight time and the adjust the left gap, the left ends up too small.

vp

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
What gap spec are you starting with for the left points?....Remember, both will not be the same gap....You may have to adjust the one side almost too tight to get the other at almost too big.... As long as they are both within the .012 to .016 somewhere it will be fine IF they are in time....some aftermarket points have to be adjusted manually (read re-bent) to get this.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where is this "re-bent" thread?
66Sprint said:
What gap spec are you starting with for the left points?....Remember, both will not be the same gap....You may have to adjust the one side almost too tight to get the other at almost too big.... As long as they are both within the .012 to .016 somewhere it will be fine IF they are in time....some aftermarket points have to be adjusted manually (read re-bent) to get this.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
starting with .014 for both.
66Sprint said:

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
versuspop said:
where is this "re-bent" thread?
66Sprint said:
I might be wrong but I don't think we have a "re-bent" thread. Steve probably ment that adjusted manually is the same as re-bending the points.
I would start in the middle of the range at .014 on both points and go from there.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
If they are too wide, they don't "stay closed" as long and you get a weak spark.... If they are too close, they stay closed longer and can overheat/burn up the coils.....

This situation is usually caused by aftermarket points or points-plates....or worn/overfiled points.... Solution is to replace with new Honda spec points....

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Ah here i go again, fit a Dyna and be done with it :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
otr002 said:
Ah here i go again, fit a Dyna and be done with it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ah, you Rod and your modern invetions. It was better in the olden days when we lived 10 people in a shoe box in the middle of the freeway and walked 100 miles to school every day in 5 feet of snow. :D

No seriously, Steve has got a point (pun intended). I bought my CB500 Four in 2006 with used points and I have ridden 20000 miles all over Europe and only adjusted and filed them once. If you stay away from dodgy pattern parts and set them up right it's a really good system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts