Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it that so many more 450's were produced?
Will the 500 perform any better?
I was told it has an added roller for the timing chain not found on the 450. I was told the 450's like to jump a tooth if run to loose at high RPM. I suspect it was just worn out.

What big displacement parallel twins are there besides the Brit's and the Yamaha 650?

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
450's were produced for about seven years...500T's for two.....
The 500 is a stroked but reduced compression ratio version.....Replacing the 500T head with the 450 head will "up" the ratio......Except for the obvious crank, piston, and head differences, the engines are virtually identical internally....No "extra roller"....

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'll 2nd what 66sprint said, but there is a bit of animosity toward the 500T from 450 fans. The 450 DOHC was revolutionary, and deserves a great deal of credit. There is lot of love for the 450, especially the Black Bomber. When it was discontinued nobody wanted to see it go, and expected something impressive to replace it. I personally don't believe Honda intended to "replace" the 450 with the 500T, they had too much success in other areas, namely the CB750 which quite literally turned the motorcycle industry on it's ear. The 450 was produced from 1965 to 1974, that's a pretty good run for any bike, but the technology of the 450 was getting old, and surely Honda needed to come out with a new bike or spend the rest of it's life supplying parts for old bikes. So,,, either they were testing the market with some cosmetic changes, redressing the DOHC Twin as sort of a send off, or both. People either love the look of the 500T or hate it. Maybe why it didn't last, no in-between UJM like the 450.
Wasn't the last time Honda took an engine from another bike and tried something different, look at the GB500.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts