Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good evening Honda crowd!

I live in Western Massachusetts and love older Hondas.

Growing up on the Cape I started out working on lawnmowers before moving onto mopeds; picking them up from barns and backyards for $100 a piece to work on and sell as a means to stay busy. I loved mopeds and all of my friends owned one. When I was 18 I took the MSF course and got my first bike, an ugly puke green rattle canned 1985 VT500C from my friend Bryan, a great guy that can't take care of anything to save his life. The bike's name was "The Green Machine". A friend of mine that dabbled equally in welding, explosives, and heroin helped me to do all of the douchey mods that you'd expect of a college freshman. I sold the bike to said friend shortly after we finished, it would blow up on him on the highway 6 months later. Bike is still titled in my name because junkies will be junkies.

A few years down the line I purchased a 1985 Yamaha Virago 700N, that bike sucked.

Last year I traded a Walther PPK to the world's most confident and least skilled electrician for a Sulphur Yellow 1976 Honda GL1000. I LOVE THIS BIKE. Although the color is strikingly ugly at first site, it's really cool to be able to say that there were only ever 500 made and there certainly aren't that many now. During the course of this past year my best man and I have fixed this thing up, having found the former owner on the NGW forum we were able to cyberstalk him and un-do every single Walmart fix that him and his tube socks were able to post about over the 10 years that he possessed the bike. I can't stress this enough, every single thing that he did to the bike was a disservice to the motorcycle community. He would laugh and post the "green rolly face" or the "guy shifting gears" emoticons as he relished in his greasy 55 year old suburban dadhood.

Finally, it runs and it drives and it's happy. I owe a lot of thanks to NGWclub, GoldWingDocs, Randakk (oh jesus), random YouTubers, and a specifically huge thank you to "Vintage Honda Motorcycle Owners of America" on Facebook.

With that said, I've been looking for a new project and I think that I've found it.....
While scouring Craigslist, OfferUp, and Facebook Marketplace for the best project CB750 out there (holy pricey project, Batman) I stumbled upon a gentleman nearby that had some older bikes that I decided to check out. During my inspection of a less than interesting 750 he had in his collection I caught a glimmer of green and white paint out of the corner of my eye. BEHOLD! The clouds opened up. In the corner of the room, away from everything else in the room, buried behind 15 bikes and a chrome bumper'd corvette, stood a 1968 Honda CB350 in glorious green and white.

This guy wasn't sure that he wanted to sell it or what he wanted for it. He assured me that he was going to get a VIN inspection done by the cop down the road and it'd be legal before any money changed hands. That made me feel hopeful so later that night I offered him $400.

Well, it was about two weeks before he got back to me with a counteroffer of $500. SOLD!

Paint looks great on all of the side covers, the tank, and the ears. Headlight bucket has some minor rust as does the frame. It's currently missing the front fender, the seat (although the seat pan is intact), mirrors, and the proper stock exhaust (so far as I can tell). The faceplate on the tach is in rough shape with the color faded to black and the needle hardly visible. Keys don't fit into the ignition because the tumbler fell apart all over the floor at some point, parts easily available. The gas tank has 20 year old gas in it and is rusted to **** on the inside but as any experienced motorcycle enthusiast knows there are tons of ways to deal with this and it's generally the least of your worries when buying a 50 year old bike. The most worrisome aspect of the bike is that while the kickstarter turns the bike over, it does not return to its original position. From reading here, I know that this means saying a prayer before taking the engine apart. You'll all hear from me at great length when it comes time to pull this maneuver.

I THINK that's all that's wrong with the bike. Regardless of the issues I am still thrilled.

We have not yet met up to exchange keys for money, if anyone thinks this is a horrible idea I'm open to being convinced not to pull the trigger. I know there are tons of these things but the Green & White color on the K0 really entices me, and prices in New England seem to be getting higher every day.

I am extremely excited to be a part of this community. It all starts when I pick up my shop manual this weekend in New Hampshire.

I'll take the Goldwing so that it doesn't get jealous...

20190410_230001915_iOS.jpg 20190410_230017561_iOS.jpg 20190410_230027542_iOS.jpg 20190410_230120581_iOS.jpg 20190410_230131322_iOS.jpg 20190410_230249677_iOS.jpg 20190410_230438759_iOS.jpg 20190410_231124564_iOS.jpg 20190410_231134437_iOS.jpg 20190414_204843824_iOS.jpg 20180414_170548980_iOS.jpg 20190330_222018708_iOS.jpg

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome to the group. Looks to me like you did OK, after all, even if you end up parting it out you'll be out less than $500.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts